Wisbech spirits were not dampened despite losing to Holt

Wisbech 1st XV Captain Solomon Prestidge

Wisbech 1st XV Captain Solomon Prestidge - Credit: Archant

Wisbech suffered a second tough defeat at home to promotion chasing Holt on Saturday afternoon, losing 19-27 to the league leaders.

Despite scoring three tries, Holt got out of jail courtesy of two late tries by scrum-half, Bruce van Poortvliet, and right wing Henry Flower.

It took 12 minutes for the first score, Holt were soon on the board from a penalty converted by their flyhalf Tom Jackson and on the 20 minute Holt second row cleverly fed centre Aaron Tagg who scored in the corner to take an eight point lead.

Wisbech responded positively, a trademark of this new look side, with a series of carries from the well organised pack gaining a good share of front foot possession allowed fly half Andy Claydon to release the backs, resulting in a try in the corner for Wisbech winger James ‘the Rhino’ Patrick converted by Harry Newman, which reduced the deficit to 7-8 at half-time.

The second half saw the visiting side start strongly as they built their phases testing the stubborn Wisbech defence. A laps in concentration allowed the Holt second row Robbie Gray to get behind the Wisbech defence to release their number eight Jeremy Seaman for a converted try making it 7-15 to the visitors.

Wisbech spirits were not dampened and raised their game, a driving maul resulted in a try for the Wisbech pack and a yellow card for Holt.

With the score at 12-15 Wisbech now dominating possession and territory took control of the game when Holt scrum-half caught the Wisbech back row napping and found a gap, wove his way around the Wisbech defence on a forty metre dash to the line for a converted try to stretch the lead to 12-22.

Most Read

Wisbech would not be disheartened though and responded with a try from the forward pack which was converted by Harry Newman closing the gap to 19-20.

The game was now finely in the balance. Holt’s travelling supporters were much relieved to see right wing Henry Flower out-flanking the home side’s defence for a converted try in the corner, but Wisbech gave it to the last, the final score 19-27 to the visiting side.

Shane Vickers was named the Wisbech Round Table Man-of-the-match.

Wisbech face Thurston away in their next fixture of the Greene King London 3 Eastern Counties on Saturday 22 September, kick off 3pm.