Wisbech Speed Skaters look to build on yet another successful season on track
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Inline Speed Skaters are looking to build on a superb 2018 season with the launch of a new website.
The West Norfolk club, formed in 1978 by a group of roller skaters, speed skaters and figure skaters, had nine British champions this year, earning 30 titles between them.
The team brought home a whopping 71 gold, silver and bronze medals from the British Indoor & Outdoor Championships and have travelled to Belgium, the Netherlands, Germany and Portugal for European events in recent years.
Arthut Buckler won successive races in the prestigious Flanders Grand Prix in Belgium, making him the first British skater to achieve the feat for many years.
Buckler also retained his British Championship title at mini boys level, while twin sisters Lucy and Eve McInerney smashed the senior women’s indoor relay record by 30 seconds to land the British title for a second year in a row.
You may also want to watch:
Club coach and veteran Mike McInerney, who holds a record 47 British titles for the club, joined forces with Flynn McGurk to claim an epic senior men’s indoor relay win after a hard-fought battle with rivals from Essex.
Their British title-winning effort was also recognised as best performance of 2018.
- 1 Spectators to be 'kept well away' when 85m chimneys come down
- 2 Residents escape kitchen fire after bank holiday blaze
- 3 Fenland line-up for Cambridgeshire elections
- 4 Retrospective bid for travellers' site
- 5 Council road sweeper vehicle involved in collision with car
- 6 Videographer captures lifeboat hoist at town boatyard
- 7 Former homeless recreate ‘Lunch atop a Skyscraper’ photograph
- 8 Person hit by train between Cambridge and Ely
- 9 12 exciting new businesses to discover when lockdown restrictions ease
- 10 Cash machine grabbed in East Cambs ram raid
Racing starts again in January and the team are raising funds in the hope of an outdoor track to improve their skating skills.
They also plan to host their own home race in February and attend the European Masters Marathon event in London, while travelling abroad to gain more experience on European race tracks.
The club welcomes new members and the team has a healthy membership of all ages and abilities, training at the Skaters Roller Rink in Walpole Highway on Saturday from 5pm.
For more information about the club, how to join and where to train visit their new website wisbechinlinespeed.co.uk.
*Wisbech members have raced regularly in the UK and at world and European level, representing Great Britain.
The club has featured on TV and won a grand total of 232 British Championship titles