Wisbech skaters heading to London for a major championship
- Credit: Archant
Members of Wisbech inline speed skating club will be heading to London to take part in a major competition at the Olympic Vevlodrome.
katers are preparing for the British Open Marathon Inline Speed Skating championship on Sunday October 11.
The event will have another local connection as its main sponsor is Aboda Homes Estate Agents in Wisbech, owned by former speed skater Alex Doggett.
John Fry, chairman of the Federation of Inline Speed Skating, and co-ordinator of the event, said: “This is the most prestigious venue we have had the opportunity to use and it will provide the perfect showcase opportunity for the sport.
“Aboda Homes is the headline sponsor for the event and we are grateful for Alex’s contribution in making the event possible.
You may also want to watch:
“He has provided a lifeline for the sport and without his support we wouldn’t have been able to finance the event.
“Alex and his family have been involved in the sport for many years and Alex was a tremendous skater when he competed.”
- 1 Vaccine roll-out begins, 12 hours a day, seven days a week
- 2 'Small number of Covid-19 deaths' at care home
- 3 Artist impressions of how Mepal will be transformed into a £6.5m crematorium
- 4 Council offers reserved parking for elderly heading for Covid jab
- 5 Coronavirus test centre staff ‘receive abuse’ from angry motorists
- 6 Slimmer's life-changing weight loss story
- 7 Tributes to 'loving, kind family man' and community stalwart
- 8 Man attempts to smuggle MDMA tablets disguised as Mars Bar into jail
- 9 Man, 39, convicted of assault on two HMRC officers by beating
- 10 Minor injury unit closes to allow staff to respond to crisis in the community
There will be seven members of the Wisbech club competing, including Michael McInerney, who was the first winner of the marathon when it was launched more than 20 years ago.
Hugh Doggett, the club’s chairman and former trainer, said: “The club is looking pretty good at the moment and in our last race at Birmingham the young skaters did very well.
“We have had some great successes over the years with members representing Great Britain. We train each Saturday night at Skaters roller rink and we are in the process of applying for planning permission for a 200 metre skating track at Wisbech football club.
“If successful we could hold European and World Championships on it.”
For more information on the club go to Wisbech Inline Speed Skating Club’s Facebook page.