Wisbech skaters heading to London for a major championship
- Credit: Archant
Members of Wisbech inline speed skating club will be heading to London to take part in a major competition at the Olympic Vevlodrome.
katers are preparing for the British Open Marathon Inline Speed Skating championship on Sunday October 11.
The event will have another local connection as its main sponsor is Aboda Homes Estate Agents in Wisbech, owned by former speed skater Alex Doggett.
John Fry, chairman of the Federation of Inline Speed Skating, and co-ordinator of the event, said: “This is the most prestigious venue we have had the opportunity to use and it will provide the perfect showcase opportunity for the sport.
“Aboda Homes is the headline sponsor for the event and we are grateful for Alex’s contribution in making the event possible.
“He has provided a lifeline for the sport and without his support we wouldn’t have been able to finance the event.
“Alex and his family have been involved in the sport for many years and Alex was a tremendous skater when he competed.”
- 1 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 2 Developer claims 109-home estate would be 'wholly appropriate'
- 3 Motorcyclist, 32, injured after A605 crash
- 4 How do Cambridgeshire Fens' Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown?
- 5 Police shut off A605 after 'single vehicle' crash
- 6 Prison for 'lavish lifestyle' drug dealer who hid £18k cash in sock drawer
- 7 Convenience store transformed thanks to £116k facelift
- 8 ‘We try to think outside the box’ - Alpacas pay a visit to care home
- 9 WATCH: Extinction Rebellion block Amazon warehouse
- 10 Driver escapes injury after car hits wall
There will be seven members of the Wisbech club competing, including Michael McInerney, who was the first winner of the marathon when it was launched more than 20 years ago.
Hugh Doggett, the club’s chairman and former trainer, said: “The club is looking pretty good at the moment and in our last race at Birmingham the young skaters did very well.
“We have had some great successes over the years with members representing Great Britain. We train each Saturday night at Skaters roller rink and we are in the process of applying for planning permission for a 200 metre skating track at Wisbech football club.
“If successful we could hold European and World Championships on it.”
For more information on the club go to Wisbech Inline Speed Skating Club’s Facebook page.