Wisbech swimmer Knight training like a demon in preparation for Commonwealth trials
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech swimmmer Liam Knight is training 14 times a week to give himself the best chance of fulfilling his Commonwealth Games dream.
The 19 year-old backstroke star is doing nine sessions in the pool, three in the gym and two boxing workouts a week as he gears up for next month’s Commonwealth trials in the hope of making the England team for Glasgow.
The savage training regime seems to be paying off - Knight picked up a silver representing Loughborough University in the 200m backstroke at the BUCS Gatorade Nationals last month and claimed three golds and a bronze at the Dave McUllagh Memorial meet in Ulster at the weekend.
He dominated the 200m backstroke in 2.01.43, winning by almost six seconds, and was a comfortable winner in the 100m backstroke (55.89) and 50m backstroke (26.55).
Knight said: “To swim those times while knackered is pretty good. Last year, at this stage of the season, I was swimming 2.04s, so to be achieving 2.01s while training so hard is encouraging.
You may also want to watch:
“My main goal at the Commonwealth trials is to beat my personal best in the 200m backstroke (2.00.50). If I could break the two minute barrier, that would be great.
“After that, whatever happens happens. I’m in the right place to get to bigger and better things. I may not make the team but I’ll give it a go, and I’m definitely aiming for Rio 2016.”
- 1 Crash boy's mum says he's 'badly shaken but OK'
- 2 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 3 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 4 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
- 5 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 6 Council books seven hotels and guest houses for homeless
- 7 Max and Chloe become pioneers of community housing success in Cambs village
- 8 Welcome to Whittlesey - the new UK hotspot for kite surfing?
- 9 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 10 Care home 'requires improvement' after unannounced visit