Wisbech Tennis Club players compete in the John Bown Memorial Tournament
- Credit: Archant
The weather was kind on Sunday as Wisbech Lawn Tennis Club members and visitors contested the John Bown Memorial Tennis Tournament.
After a series of thrilling contests, the ladies winner was Sue Pitcher and the men’s crown was shared between Roger Frusher and Andy Wood.
Club member Sue Tolliday said: “John Bown was a long standing member of Wisbech Tennis Club and a larger than life character, full of enthusiasm for the game.
“He encouraged people of all ages to play tennis and introduced several new players to the club and to match play.
“The trophy, which was given by his widow Brenda, has been played for on annual basis for five years.”
You may also want to watch:
Adult club nights take place every Monday and Thursday from 6.30pm and junior club nights start today from 4-6pm.
A family session, for children and their parents to play together, takes place on Sunday from 11.30am.
- 1 Cant's Drove loses 'worst road in the Fens' title
- 2 CCTV released after shopkeeper assaulted in robbery
- 3 Woman jailed for knife-point robbery
- 4 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
- 5 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 6 Man with rare heart condition shares how free location app saved his life
- 7 MP takes a tour of school’s £14m transformation
- 8 9 hidden gems of East Anglia by rail from Cambridgeshire
- 9 Worst road in Fenland? You'd better believe it
- 10 Threatening domestic abuser tracked and assaulted ex partner of 10 years
Coaching courses for all ages and abilities are available. To find out more go to www.wisbechtennisclub.org.uk or call 07549 263767.