Wisbech Tennis Club players compete in the John Bown Memorial Tournament
- Credit: Archant
The weather was kind on Sunday as Wisbech Lawn Tennis Club members and visitors contested the John Bown Memorial Tennis Tournament.
After a series of thrilling contests, the ladies winner was Sue Pitcher and the men’s crown was shared between Roger Frusher and Andy Wood.
Club member Sue Tolliday said: “John Bown was a long standing member of Wisbech Tennis Club and a larger than life character, full of enthusiasm for the game.
“He encouraged people of all ages to play tennis and introduced several new players to the club and to match play.
“The trophy, which was given by his widow Brenda, has been played for on annual basis for five years.”
You may also want to watch:
Adult club nights take place every Monday and Thursday from 6.30pm and junior club nights start today from 4-6pm.
A family session, for children and their parents to play together, takes place on Sunday from 11.30am.
- 1 Owner's desperate plea - and £500 reward - to find missing dog
- 2 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 3 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 4 'Bed-bound, my body felt exasperated' - reporter shares battle with Covid-19
- 5 MP visits hospital about to become centre of Covid-19 vaccine rollout
- 6 County cops issue more than 60 Covid fines since beginning of 2021
- 7 Coroner records Wisbech teenager’s death as suicide
- 8 Overgrown ditch ‘hasn’t been maintained for at least eight years’
- 9 Nitrous oxide canisters no laughing matter say Fenland police
- 10 Dad of two killed on Fen road
Coaching courses for all ages and abilities are available. To find out more go to www.wisbechtennisclub.org.uk or call 07549 263767.