Wisbech Tennis Club players compete in the John Bown Memorial Tournament
- Credit: Archant
The weather was kind on Sunday as Wisbech Lawn Tennis Club members and visitors contested the John Bown Memorial Tennis Tournament.
After a series of thrilling contests, the ladies winner was Sue Pitcher and the men’s crown was shared between Roger Frusher and Andy Wood.
Club member Sue Tolliday said: “John Bown was a long standing member of Wisbech Tennis Club and a larger than life character, full of enthusiasm for the game.
“He encouraged people of all ages to play tennis and introduced several new players to the club and to match play.
“The trophy, which was given by his widow Brenda, has been played for on annual basis for five years.”
You may also want to watch:
Adult club nights take place every Monday and Thursday from 6.30pm and junior club nights start today from 4-6pm.
A family session, for children and their parents to play together, takes place on Sunday from 11.30am.
- 1 Man charged with murder of woman in her 70s
- 2 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 3 Widow of High Court judge, 77, charged with historical sexual abuse
- 4 Firefighters attempted to resuscitate suspected murder victim
- 5 Commuter chaos as van blaze causes miles of congestion
- 6 'Unreasonable behaviour' means Steve must pay council's costs of failed appeal
- 7 Suspected drink lorry driver threw whiskey and wine bottle from cab
- 8 Count admits he 'must carry personally' some blame for losses
- 9 Police forensics team begin search after death of woman in her 70s
- 10 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after death of woman in her 70s
Coaching courses for all ages and abilities are available. To find out more go to www.wisbechtennisclub.org.uk or call 07549 263767.