Wisbech Town 2 - 1 Peterborough Northern Star

Paul Cousins

Paul Cousins - Credit: Archant

TEN-man Wisbech Town recovered from a disastrous start to beat Peterborough Northern Star 2-1 in the United Counties League last night.

They fell behind in the second minute to Wisbech old-boy Billy Smith but goals from Danny White and captain Paul Cousins sealed their second consecutive league win.

The Fenmen had to play out the last few minutes with a man down after midfielder Steven Reid was dismissed after picking up his second booking.

Wisbech started slowly and were instantly punished by Smith, who rose highest to head a hanging cross into the top corner.

Jack Friend had a chance to equalise following good work from Tom James down the right wing but he scuffed his finish with the goal at his mercy.

Wisbech drew level on 23 minutes through White.

James, whose pace caused the Peterborough defence problems all game, broke free down the right wing and picked out White with a measured pull back.

Most Read

The diminutive midfielder did the rest, calmly stroking the ball low past the keeper.

Wisbech had the chance to edge ahead on the stroke of half-time but a good save from the onrushing keeper denied James when he was clean through on goal.

The second half was a more end-to-end affair, with both teams giving their all in search of the second goal.

It was Wisbech captain Cousins who made the crucial breakthrough on 65 minutes.

He leapt above the keeper and powered Adam Millson’s in-swinging free-kick into the open goal.

Anthony Reeve put Wisbech in trouble with a misplaced pass but heroic scrambling from Tom Roberts and his defenders prevented Peterborough from equalising.

Neal Spafford then came close to putting Wisbech two goals ahead but his header from a corner was tipped on to the crossbar by the Peterborough goalkeeper.

Reid picked up two bookings in the space of a couple of minutes. The first after he was harshly adjudged to have kicked the ball away and the second for bringing down the Peterborough attacker as he surged towards the Wisbech goal.

But Peterborough could not break down Wisbech’s resistance and the hosts sealed a hard-fought win, much to the delight of the large crowd.