Wisbech Town accepted into UCL
- Credit: Archant
WISBECH Town will be playing in the Chromasport & Trophies UCL Premier Division next season.
The club’s application was approved by the FA yesterday.
The Fenmen previously played in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division.
Teams who play in the UCL include Spalding UTD, Huntingdon United and Peterborough Northern Star.
Manager Steve Appleby said: “Moving into the UCL will provide a fresh challenge for myself and the lads after the disappointment of missing out on promotion - and it’s a challenge we will relish.
You may also want to watch:
“People will have high expectations of us and I’m sure other teams will raise their game when facing us.
“We will have a job on our hands as there are already half-a-dozen big clubs in the UCL, but I know what to expect.
- 1 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 2 Man, 53, found in 'possession of knife' in Queensgate Shopping Centre
- 3 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 4 MP praises 'fantastic' vaccine team after having Covid-19 jab
- 5 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 6 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 7 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 8 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 9 Here are your winners of the Pride of Whittlesey awards
- 10 Letters: Mayor's tribute, poem for a pigeon and letter release refusal
“The UCL tends to be more physical than the Thurlow Nunn League where a lot of teams try to play football from the back.
“I’ll set out to win the league just as I do every season but a top-five finish will be realistically be a good effort in our first season.”
One player who may not be part of Wisbech’s UCL challenge next season is striker Joe Jackson, who is looking to return to Swaffham Town.