Wisbech Town accepted into UCL
- Credit: Archant
WISBECH Town will be playing in the Chromasport & Trophies UCL Premier Division next season.
The club’s application was approved by the FA yesterday.
The Fenmen previously played in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division.
Teams who play in the UCL include Spalding UTD, Huntingdon United and Peterborough Northern Star.
Manager Steve Appleby said: “Moving into the UCL will provide a fresh challenge for myself and the lads after the disappointment of missing out on promotion - and it’s a challenge we will relish.
“People will have high expectations of us and I’m sure other teams will raise their game when facing us.
“We will have a job on our hands as there are already half-a-dozen big clubs in the UCL, but I know what to expect.
- 1 New dessert shop bids to become 'best in the area'
- 2 Family's tribute to 'son in a million' killed in motorbike crash
- 3 Two escape unhurt after car plunges into river
- 4 £4,000 raised for Natalie to live her dreams after cancer diagnosis
- 5 Covid-19 'virtual ward' will help patients recover at home
- 6 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 7 Family run tea room closes after 10 years in business
- 8 Café holds 'heavy heart' as it announces closure
- 9 Bungalow fire in town was ‘accidental’
- 10 Improve your selfies and photographs by joining new group
“The UCL tends to be more physical than the Thurlow Nunn League where a lot of teams try to play football from the back.
“I’ll set out to win the league just as I do every season but a top-five finish will be realistically be a good effort in our first season.”
One player who may not be part of Wisbech’s UCL challenge next season is striker Joe Jackson, who is looking to return to Swaffham Town.