Wisbech Town and March Town United both win to set up mouth-watering FA Cup Fen derby
WISBECH Town and March Town United will play each other in the next round of the FA Cup after both sides won their home games today.
Fenland’s biggest football clubs went into their FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round matches knowing that a victory would set up a mouth-watering derby at the GER on September 3.
But while Wisbech were favourites to beat first division Halstead Town - which they did comfortably 4-0 - March were underdogs against Ridgeons Premier Division Kirkley & Pakefield.
The Hares even completed their victory the hard way after going in 1-0 down at the break courtesy of Joe Bell’s stunning 30-yarder which gave ‘Lea Jordan no chance in the March goal.
However, just as it seemed the prospect of the dream tie was dead and buried, Ash Brand bagged a second-half brace to send March through to the next round.
Ollie Gale, Chris Bacon, Liam Nimmo and Sam Murphy scored the Fenmen’s goals to help Wisbech, like March, pocket �750 for progressing to the next round of the 131st FA Cup competition.
The duo meet in the FA Cup Preliminary Round on September 3 with local pride - and �1,500 for the winner - at stake.
- 1 Both drivers seriously injured after head on crash
- 2 Honda, Seat and Toyota crash on A141
- 3 A141 crash involves recycling lorry
- 4 Two women fighting for life after A141 crash
- 5 Chapel conversion withdrawn following stinging rebuke
- 6 Developer going flat out to convert former post office
- 7 Doddington Minor Injuries Unit to temporarily close
- 8 Village farm buildings targeted in arson attack
- 9 Dealer responsible for £500k worth of drugs caught
- 10 Top roles confirmed at council owned housing firm
Steve Appleby’s Wisbech return to Ridgeons Premier Division action at Newmarket Town on Wednesday. Brett Whaley’s March travel to Ipswich Wanderers next Saturday.
• For more on both March and Wisbech click on the related links on the right-hand side of this page.