Wisbech Town and March Town United both win to set up mouth-watering FA Cup Fen derby
WISBECH Town and March Town United will play each other in the next round of the FA Cup after both sides won their home games today.
Fenland’s biggest football clubs went into their FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round matches knowing that a victory would set up a mouth-watering derby at the GER on September 3.
But while Wisbech were favourites to beat first division Halstead Town - which they did comfortably 4-0 - March were underdogs against Ridgeons Premier Division Kirkley & Pakefield.
The Hares even completed their victory the hard way after going in 1-0 down at the break courtesy of Joe Bell’s stunning 30-yarder which gave ‘Lea Jordan no chance in the March goal.
However, just as it seemed the prospect of the dream tie was dead and buried, Ash Brand bagged a second-half brace to send March through to the next round.
You may also want to watch:
Ollie Gale, Chris Bacon, Liam Nimmo and Sam Murphy scored the Fenmen’s goals to help Wisbech, like March, pocket �750 for progressing to the next round of the 131st FA Cup competition.
The duo meet in the FA Cup Preliminary Round on September 3 with local pride - and �1,500 for the winner - at stake.
- 1 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 2 Man, 53, found in 'possession of knife' in Queensgate Shopping Centre
- 3 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 4 Man who died in road crash is named
- 5 MP praises 'fantastic' vaccine team after having Covid-19 jab
- 6 Here are your winners of the Pride of Whittlesey awards
- 7 Letters: Mayor's tribute, poem for a pigeon and letter release refusal
- 8 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 9 Matilda, 9, sold her dolls to raise money for charity close to her heart
- 10 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
Steve Appleby’s Wisbech return to Ridgeons Premier Division action at Newmarket Town on Wednesday. Brett Whaley’s March travel to Ipswich Wanderers next Saturday.
• For more on both March and Wisbech click on the related links on the right-hand side of this page.