Wisbech Town blow two-goal lead as FA Vase dream ends in nightmare
- Credit: Archant
DREAMS of an FA Vase trip to Wembley were dashed for another year as Wisbech Town blew a 2-0 lead in an extra-time defeat to Gornal Athletic.
The Fenmen looked to be cruising towards a last-16 trek to Bodmin Town as they took a 2-0 lead inside six minutes of Saturday’s fourth-round tie.
Deakan Napier put the visitors ahead after a poor goal kick hit him and fell kindly for him to slot into an empty net.
Top scorer Dubi Ogbonna added a classy second soon after - but Wisbech soon began to labour on a sticky playing surface.
Gornal grabbed their route back into the game with a Lee Wherton penalty just before the hour mark.
You may also want to watch:
The hosts capitalised on further pressure in the 71st minute when Chris Rabone’s scorcher sent the game into extra time.
Tiring Wisbech saw their tough task become even tougher when Steven Reid was sent off for a second yellow card in the first extra period - and Gornal soon took advantage.
- 1 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 2 Paedophile caught by cops after preying on 'teenage girls' online
- 3 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 4 Missing dog found thanks to drone footage
- 5 Five generations of family members meet up for the first time
- 6 Brexit blamed for plans to flatten Friday Bridge camp and build 100 homes
- 7 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 8 HMO plans submitted for village pub
- 9 Heroin worth £1.7m found in holdall in car in St Neots
- 10 Motorist crashes into telephone pole at Wyton
The hosts were rewarded for almost constant pressure with goals from Curtis Tilt and Marvin Nisbett, securing the Midland Alliance outfit a place in the last 16 for the first time in their history.
The Fenmen will return to their main goal - promotion from the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division - on Saturday when they host Haverhill Rovers.