Wisbech Town blow two-goal lead as FA Vase dream ends in nightmare
- Credit: Archant
DREAMS of an FA Vase trip to Wembley were dashed for another year as Wisbech Town blew a 2-0 lead in an extra-time defeat to Gornal Athletic.
The Fenmen looked to be cruising towards a last-16 trek to Bodmin Town as they took a 2-0 lead inside six minutes of Saturday’s fourth-round tie.
Deakan Napier put the visitors ahead after a poor goal kick hit him and fell kindly for him to slot into an empty net.
Top scorer Dubi Ogbonna added a classy second soon after - but Wisbech soon began to labour on a sticky playing surface.
Gornal grabbed their route back into the game with a Lee Wherton penalty just before the hour mark.
You may also want to watch:
The hosts capitalised on further pressure in the 71st minute when Chris Rabone’s scorcher sent the game into extra time.
Tiring Wisbech saw their tough task become even tougher when Steven Reid was sent off for a second yellow card in the first extra period - and Gornal soon took advantage.
- 1 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 2 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 3 Woman, 78, suffers horrific injuries after e-scooter hit-and-run
- 4 Man charged with murder of woman in her 70s
- 5 'Unreasonable behaviour' means Steve must pay council's costs of failed appeal
- 6 Widow of High Court judge, 77, charged with historical sexual abuse
- 7 'Police repeatedly failed me' over noisy neighbour saga, claims resident
- 8 Fleeing heroin dealer rams police car but they get him in the end
- 9 Count admits he 'must carry personally' some blame for losses
- 10 Welcome relief as hairdresser back at care home
The hosts were rewarded for almost constant pressure with goals from Curtis Tilt and Marvin Nisbett, securing the Midland Alliance outfit a place in the last 16 for the first time in their history.
The Fenmen will return to their main goal - promotion from the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division - on Saturday when they host Haverhill Rovers.