Wisbech Town blow two-goal lead as FA Vase dream ends in nightmare
- Credit: Archant
DREAMS of an FA Vase trip to Wembley were dashed for another year as Wisbech Town blew a 2-0 lead in an extra-time defeat to Gornal Athletic.
The Fenmen looked to be cruising towards a last-16 trek to Bodmin Town as they took a 2-0 lead inside six minutes of Saturday’s fourth-round tie.
Deakan Napier put the visitors ahead after a poor goal kick hit him and fell kindly for him to slot into an empty net.
Top scorer Dubi Ogbonna added a classy second soon after - but Wisbech soon began to labour on a sticky playing surface.
Gornal grabbed their route back into the game with a Lee Wherton penalty just before the hour mark.
The hosts capitalised on further pressure in the 71st minute when Chris Rabone’s scorcher sent the game into extra time.
Tiring Wisbech saw their tough task become even tougher when Steven Reid was sent off for a second yellow card in the first extra period - and Gornal soon took advantage.
- 1 Developer claims 109-home estate would be 'wholly appropriate'
- 2 How do Cambridgeshire Fens' Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown?
- 3 Prison for 'lavish lifestyle' drug dealer who hid £18k cash in sock drawer
- 4 Convenience store transformed thanks to £116k facelift
- 5 Motorcyclist, 32, injured after A605 crash
- 6 WATCH: Extinction Rebellion block Amazon warehouse
- 7 ‘We try to think outside the box’ - Alpacas pay a visit to care home
- 8 Best Indian in CAMBRIDGESHIRE even though award says best in NORFOLK
- 9 Police shut off A605 after 'single vehicle' crash
- 10 Driver escapes injury after car hits wall
The hosts were rewarded for almost constant pressure with goals from Curtis Tilt and Marvin Nisbett, securing the Midland Alliance outfit a place in the last 16 for the first time in their history.
The Fenmen will return to their main goal - promotion from the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division - on Saturday when they host Haverhill Rovers.