Wisbech Town blow two-goal lead as FA Vase dream ends in nightmare
- Credit: Archant
DREAMS of an FA Vase trip to Wembley were dashed for another year as Wisbech Town blew a 2-0 lead in an extra-time defeat to Gornal Athletic.
The Fenmen looked to be cruising towards a last-16 trek to Bodmin Town as they took a 2-0 lead inside six minutes of Saturday’s fourth-round tie.
Deakan Napier put the visitors ahead after a poor goal kick hit him and fell kindly for him to slot into an empty net.
Top scorer Dubi Ogbonna added a classy second soon after - but Wisbech soon began to labour on a sticky playing surface.
Gornal grabbed their route back into the game with a Lee Wherton penalty just before the hour mark.
You may also want to watch:
The hosts capitalised on further pressure in the 71st minute when Chris Rabone’s scorcher sent the game into extra time.
Tiring Wisbech saw their tough task become even tougher when Steven Reid was sent off for a second yellow card in the first extra period - and Gornal soon took advantage.
- 1 MP visits hospital about to become centre of Covid-19 vaccine rollout
- 2 Vaccine roll-out begins, 12 hours a day, seven days a week
- 3 Council offers reserved parking for elderly heading for Covid jab
- 4 Artist impressions of how Mepal will be transformed into a £6.5m crematorium
- 5 'Small number of Covid-19 deaths' at care home
- 6 Man attempts to smuggle MDMA tablets disguised as Mars Bar into jail
- 7 Slimmer's life-changing weight loss story
- 8 Coronavirus test centre staff ‘receive abuse’ from angry motorists
- 9 Man, 39, convicted of assault on two HMRC officers by beating
- 10 Ditch crash victim seriously injured
The hosts were rewarded for almost constant pressure with goals from Curtis Tilt and Marvin Nisbett, securing the Midland Alliance outfit a place in the last 16 for the first time in their history.
The Fenmen will return to their main goal - promotion from the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division - on Saturday when they host Haverhill Rovers.