Wisbech Town boss Appleby: Decision to re-sign classy ‘keeper Jordan was a ‘no-brainer’
WISBECH Town boss Steve Appleby has hailed the return of goalkeeper Lea Jordan - calling the decision to re-sign him a “no-brainer”.
Jordan left the Fenmen for rivals March Town United in June last year, citing work commitments and fewer midweek games as the reasons for his departure.
But the shop-stopper, who also had spells at Yaxley and Soham Town Rangers last season, agreed to return to the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium this week.
Appleby said: “His main issue was work and he was devastated that he had to leave us because he loves the club.
“We’ve kept in touch and it was a no-brainer to bring him back. I could go down the route of getting somebody else but I know what I’m getting with Jordi and that’s a class ‘keeper.
You may also want to watch:
“I rate him as one of the best at this level.
“You’ve got to get the spine of your team right and that’s right down the middle. If you’re not sure about your ‘keeper then you’ve got a problem.”
- 1 It's a family affair as planners consider five luxury homes
- 2 Three stores evacuated after suspect 'bomb scare'
- 3 Turners ‘massively impacted’ and Knowles up pay to hire HGV drivers
- 4 Police warn you may run but you can't hide from us
- 5 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
- 6 ‘High risk’ paedophile had indecent images of children on his phone
- 7 Family remembers 'cheeky, friendly and well-liked' mechanic
- 8 Hares hit five, Wisbech win, Whittlesey victorious as Drove triumph
- 9 Chatteris firm with £20m growth plan
- 10 Body found in Wisbech road
Appleby said ‘keeper Tom Roberts would remain at the club to challenge for the number one shirt.
“Tom filled in magnificently for us last season,” he said.
“He never let us down and if you want to be where we are then you need to have competition for every position.
“If I went into the season with this squad I’d be happy, but if I’m being picky I’d like to have another midfielder - someone who can give us another dimension with a bit of flair.
“Next year should be as good a squad as we’ve had and it’s up to us to prove that.”