Wisbech Town boss Appleby: Decision to re-sign classy ‘keeper Jordan was a ‘no-brainer’
WISBECH Town boss Steve Appleby has hailed the return of goalkeeper Lea Jordan - calling the decision to re-sign him a “no-brainer”.
Jordan left the Fenmen for rivals March Town United in June last year, citing work commitments and fewer midweek games as the reasons for his departure.
But the shop-stopper, who also had spells at Yaxley and Soham Town Rangers last season, agreed to return to the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium this week.
Appleby said: “His main issue was work and he was devastated that he had to leave us because he loves the club.
“We’ve kept in touch and it was a no-brainer to bring him back. I could go down the route of getting somebody else but I know what I’m getting with Jordi and that’s a class ‘keeper.
“I rate him as one of the best at this level.
“You’ve got to get the spine of your team right and that’s right down the middle. If you’re not sure about your ‘keeper then you’ve got a problem.”
- 1 Honda, Seat and Toyota crash on A141
- 2 Doddington Minor Injuries Unit to temporarily close
- 3 Man charged with attempted murder as stab victim is found
- 4 Man dies after van and lorry crash on A141
- 5 Domestic abuser tried to strangle and suffocate mother of his child
- 6 Dealer responsible for £500k worth of drugs caught
- 7 Arson arrest after Wisbech blaze
- 8 Clarion Housing ‘cyber incident’ affects thousands of tenants
- 9 Crews tackle blaze in Wisbech
- 10 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
Appleby said ‘keeper Tom Roberts would remain at the club to challenge for the number one shirt.
“Tom filled in magnificently for us last season,” he said.
“He never let us down and if you want to be where we are then you need to have competition for every position.
“If I went into the season with this squad I’d be happy, but if I’m being picky I’d like to have another midfielder - someone who can give us another dimension with a bit of flair.
“Next year should be as good a squad as we’ve had and it’s up to us to prove that.”