Wisbech Town boss Appleby ‘disappointed’ as King’s Lynn Town snub approach for pre-season derbies
WISBECH Town have announced plans for six pre-season friendlies - but a clash with fierce rivals King’s Lynn Town is not one of them.
With fans clamouring for the money-spinning pre-season derby, Fenmen boss Steve Appleby approached the Linnets about playing home and away friendlies.
But Lynn, who will play in the Evo-Stik League Division One South next season after securing promotion from the United Counties League, provided no official response.
Appleby said: “I phoned Setch (Lynn manager Gary Setchell) and text Buster (chairman Buster Chapman) asking for a home and away friendly.
“I thought it could be a way of building a few bridges and making our rivalry friendlier. It could also have been a good money-earner for both clubs.
You may also want to watch:
“We also asked Wisbech St Mary but we couldn’t agree dates. Both, along with the arranged March game would have been great for local interest. It is disappointing.”
The Fenmen will travel to March Town United on July 21 for the annual BKD Charity Cup friendly (Kick-off 3pm).
- 1 Man charged with murder of woman in her 70s
- 2 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 3 Widow of High Court judge, 77, charged with historical sexual abuse
- 4 Firefighters attempted to resuscitate suspected murder victim
- 5 Commuter chaos as van blaze causes miles of congestion
- 6 'Unreasonable behaviour' means Steve must pay council's costs of failed appeal
- 7 Suspected drink lorry driver threw whiskey and wine bottle from cab
- 8 Count admits he 'must carry personally' some blame for losses
- 9 Police forensics team begin search after death of woman in her 70s
- 10 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after death of woman in her 70s
They will also make pre-season trips to Sleaford Town (July 14, Kick-off 3pm) and Spalding United (July 17, Kick-off 7.45pm).
Appleby’s side will conclude their pre-season schedule with ties at the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium.
Peterborough Northern Star (July 24, Kick-off 7.45pm) and Holbeach United (July 26, Kick-off 7.45pm) will be the visitors while a final friendly against Long Buckby (July 28, Kick-off 3pm) is yet to be confirmed.