Wisbech Town bring in two marquee players as Whaley continues rebuilding job
- Credit: Archant
New Wisbech Town Brett Whaley has made two more marquee signings as he continues to rebuild his squad.
Rob Hughes has joined from Yaxley, while Stuart Wall makes the move from Histon.
A club statement said: “We are delighted to announce the signings of Rob Hughes from Yaxley and Stuart Wall from Histon, both players have been promoted from the UCL with Kings Lynn and have plenty of experience at higher levels.
“Rob made a massive difference with Brett for Yaxley and was key in the improvements there. Stuart was captain of Histon last season and is a real leader, his character and determination will rub off on all the lads around him.”
Earlier this week, Whaley brought in coach Dan Dobson and players Luke Hipwell and Aaron Butcher from former club Yaxley.
You may also want to watch:
Whaley has also received assurances from six players that they will stay at the club.
He said: “Dan is an enthusiastic coach who has been a big part of our improvements at Yaxley and I’m delighted to have him on board.
- 1 Spectators to be 'kept well away' when 85m chimneys come down
- 2 Fenland line-up for Cambridgeshire elections
- 3 Retrospective bid for travellers' site
- 4 Council road sweeper vehicle involved in collision with car
- 5 Residents escape kitchen fire after bank holiday blaze
- 6 Videographer captures lifeboat hoist at town boatyard
- 7 12 exciting new businesses to discover when lockdown restrictions ease
- 8 Former homeless recreate ‘Lunch atop a Skyscraper’ photograph
- 9 Person hit by train between Cambridge and Ely
- 10 Alligator-owning farmer stars in new Ross Kemp ITV documentary
“I have been speaking to all of the last years squad and have made, or am making, them offers. Danny Beaumont, Jon Fairweather, Stuart Cobb, Scott Johnson, Billy Smith, Luke Wilson and Steven Reid have all agreed to stay, while Paul Cousins will remain part of the management team.
“I am currently trying to agree terms with Nathan Horne, and will keep everyone updated with the progress.
“Luke is a talented fullback, who had an excellent season for me last year at Yaxley. Aaron for me is the best keeper in the league and a great signing for the club.”