Wisbech Town Cricket Club left reeling as injury ends Aussie star’s season
AUSTRALIAN star Adam Meads has left the country after a shoulder injury ruled him out of Wisbech Town Cricket Club’s season.
The paceman made an immediate impression at Harecroft Road after arriving from Byron Bay last month.
But the 21-year-old will leave Wisbech without bowling a ball in the league after a recurrence of a shoulder injury.
Vice-captain Gary Freear said: “We don’t really know how to take it because it’s been so sudden.
“We thought we’d got lucky with Adam because he looked a seriously good player and now he’s been injured without even playing in the league.
“It’s incredibly unlucky but we have survived before and we’ll survive again.”
Meads, who saw a physio on Monday, will be sidelined for at least three months with the tear in his rotator cuff. He plans to continue his travels around Europe before returning home.
- 1 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
- 2 Multiple emergency services at scene after B1098 crash
- 3 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 4 Four charged with modern slavery crimes on one woman
- 5 Trainspotters catch Duchess of Sutherland whistling through Fens
- 6 Tributes paid to 'beloved husband' killed crossing road
- 7 Man who died in St Neots crash is named
- 8 Dental practice plan move to business park
- 9 Woman in court over town pub burglary
- 10 When are Royal Mail's last posting dates for Christmas 2021?
Freear said: “He wants to go home and get it sorted. We did know he was a bit injury prone but it’s still not good. He seemed very disappointed.
“There’s now a big chance for some of the younger lads to step up. We’ve never been a club that wanted to be dominated by an overseas player.
“It’s a good chance for everyone to prove themselves.”
The club have not announced any plans to replace the overseas star, who played for his state New South Wales as a teenager.
Wisbech, who have had their first two Tucker Gardner Premier Division games washed out, travel to Foxton on Saturday.