Wisbech Town Cricket Club to celebrate supreme junior section by hosting league finals
WISBECH Town Cricket Club will toast their triumphant junior section on Friday as they host the West Norfolk Youth Cricket League’s finals.
The under-14s will take on Dersingham in their final, while the under-16s will lift their trophy if they can beat Downham Town. The under-12s, who have already won their league, will face a select XI from the division.
Wisbech’s juniors have enjoyed a supreme campaign, with three of the six age groups already claiming their league titles.
The under-12s and under-14s, who will be crowned as champions during Friday evening’s presentation, went unbeaten.
The under-13s won their Cambridgeshire Youth Cricket League Under-13C division, a young under-11s side finished fifth in the under-11C table and the under-16s came fourth in the West Norfolk League.
You may also want to watch:
The under-15s, who reached the regional semi-finals of the ECB National Cup, are currently top of the under-15D division.
The club’s junior section now has more than 100 young cricketers - including nearly 30 under-9s.
- 1 Owner's desperate plea - and £500 reward - to find missing dog
- 2 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 3 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 4 'Bed-bound, my body felt exasperated' - reporter shares battle with Covid-19
- 5 MP visits hospital about to become centre of Covid-19 vaccine rollout
- 6 Nitrous oxide canisters no laughing matter say Fenland police
- 7 Rugby club fears vendetta after vandals strike again
- 8 Overgrown ditch ‘hasn’t been maintained for at least eight years’
- 9 Coroner records Wisbech teenager’s death as suicide
- 10 County cops issue more than 60 Covid fines since beginning of 2021
Youth Development Officer Dom Stannard said: “The success is a result of the effort put in by the young cricketers and their coaches.
“That effort goes from winter indoor nets to the summer training and matches involving upwards of 100 players managed by around 15 volunteer club coaches.
“I am so proud of the efforts of all the players involved and I would like to thank all of my coaching team for their commitment to giving so many youngsters the opportunity to participate and succeed in cricket.”