Fantastic Fenmen crowned league champions for first time
- Credit: Supplied/Jonny Pearce
Wisbech Town’s walking footballers were crowned league champions for the first time thanks to an impeccable final day performance.
The Fenmen beat Netherton United ‘A’ in a double-header, knowing two wins from those two games would secure the Division One title in the Peterborough & District Walking Football League.
Despite striker Scott Sawers and goalkeeper John Knight missing out, Wisbech cruised to victory in both games.
After Netherton took the lead, Jonny Pearce’s side sparked into life with Rich Mellor scoring four times in a 7-1 thrashing.
But despite a near slip-up in the first contest, the second was anything but.
Mellor was on hand to strike again, and three goals for Steve Wyness and two for David Frosdick ensured a 9-0 win to secure the silverware.
Pearce said: “I asked the players to be brave, believe in what we are doing and to keep playing our style of football and I can’t fault them.
- 1 Village shop hit by ram raiders
- 2 F1 fan Magdalena bids to land 'once in a lifetime' chance
- 3 Motorcyclist in serious condition after A142 tractor crash
- 4 A47 near Wisbech set to close for seven weekends due to roadworks
- 5 Second river crash in a week as driver escapes injury
- 6 Father and son accused of man's murder set to stand trial this summer
- 7 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 8 Teenager was ‘acting in self-defence’ when stamping on boy’s head
- 9 Jail for suspected hare courser who forced cars off road during police pursuit
- 10 Sex offender who 'wiped internet history' jailed for breaching court orders
“They have put everything into this, they work hard in training and today they have got what they deserve.
“I have a great group of players here and I’m looking forward to what the future holds for us as a club.”
Wisbech Town - Martin Beasant, Ben Baylis, David Frosdick, Rich Mellor, Steve Wyness, Paul Murray, Wayne Beasant, William Barrett.