Wisbech Town host March Town United in FA Cup Fen derby replay tonight
WISBECH Town will host March Town United in an FA Cup Preliminary Round replay tonight after the teams drew 1-1 in front of 1,100 people on Saturday.
Football fans flocked to March’s GER ground to witness Fenland’s biggest derby match for 30 years. The demand to watch the game was so huge that fans were forced to queue down Robingoodfellow’s Lane to gain entry into the ground.
Ridgeons Premier Division Wisbech - who play a league higher than March - took the lead in the 25th minute through striker Liam Nimmo.
However, inspirational captain Luke Pepper equalised for the Hares to set-up tonight’s mouth-watering replay which could go to extra-time and penalties if the score remains deadlocked after 90 minutes.
Wisbech boss Steve Appleby will still be without injured trio Steven Reid, captain Scott Johnson and striker Darren Jimson.
You may also want to watch:
In other team news, Appleby has confirmed this morning that striker Nick Davey will be handed his first start of the season in tonight’s crucial replay.
March will be without midfielder Kyle Nolan, who is still struggling with an ankle injury, and Hares boss Brett Whaley has replaced him in the squad with Ben Hepworth.
- 1 'Amazing team work' at hospital's vaccination clinic
- 2 'Physically and mentally exhausted" Matt in plea to find missing beagle
- 3 Man suffers serious injuries after two-vehicle crash on A47
- 4 Sandbags available ahead as Storm Christoph arrives
- 5 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 6 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 7 'Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into'
- 8 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 9 Fishing park owners await green light to open third lake
- 10 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
The last time the two sides drew in the FA Cup - 1-1 at the GER in 1972 - Wisbech won the replay 3-0. Tonight’s winners will earn �1,500 prize money and a home tie against Wroxham in the next round on September 17.
As FA Cup Fen derby fever continues to grip the area Coral and Ladbrokes’ betting shops in March and Wisbech are once again offering odds on the outcome of the game.
A spokesman for Coral said their March store took around 20 bets on Saturday’s clash but no punters had placed money on a draw.
They are offering odds of a Wisbech victory tonight at 8/15, a March win at 9/2 and a draw (all results in normal time) at 23/10.
Ladbrokes have already taken bets this morning and are offering the following prices: Wisbech (4/9), March (9/2) and the draw (3/1).
Both bookmakers confirmed they will take scorecast predictions and special bets on request.
Tonight’s game kicks-off at 7.45pm at Wisbech’s Elgood’s Fenland Stadium on Lynn Road. Entry costs �6 for adults and �4 for children and concessions.
• FOR updates from tonight’s game follow me on Twitter @GavinCaney
For more on Saturday’s 1-1 draw, including reaction and a picture gallery, click on the related links on the right-hand side of this page.