Wisbech Town host March Town United in FA Cup Fen derby replay tonight
WISBECH Town will host March Town United in an FA Cup Preliminary Round replay tonight after the teams drew 1-1 in front of 1,100 people on Saturday.
Football fans flocked to March’s GER ground to witness Fenland’s biggest derby match for 30 years. The demand to watch the game was so huge that fans were forced to queue down Robingoodfellow’s Lane to gain entry into the ground.
Ridgeons Premier Division Wisbech - who play a league higher than March - took the lead in the 25th minute through striker Liam Nimmo.
However, inspirational captain Luke Pepper equalised for the Hares to set-up tonight’s mouth-watering replay which could go to extra-time and penalties if the score remains deadlocked after 90 minutes.
Wisbech boss Steve Appleby will still be without injured trio Steven Reid, captain Scott Johnson and striker Darren Jimson.
You may also want to watch:
In other team news, Appleby has confirmed this morning that striker Nick Davey will be handed his first start of the season in tonight’s crucial replay.
March will be without midfielder Kyle Nolan, who is still struggling with an ankle injury, and Hares boss Brett Whaley has replaced him in the squad with Ben Hepworth.
- 1 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 2 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 3 Pink Cadillacs, sports cars and a VW Beetle: Students arrive in style for their leavers' prom
- 4 Aquapark boss hits back at threat of enforcement
- 5 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in East Cambs and Fenland
- 6 Hospitals temporarily reintroduce restrictions for visitors
- 7 Students dare to dream of England Lionesses spot after trial success
- 8 March lorry and cyclist collision: Eye-witness saw ‘boy laid in the road’
- 9 Man killed in Estover Road motorbike crash named by police
- 10 Live updates as cyclist is ‘hit by lorry’ near March secondary school
The last time the two sides drew in the FA Cup - 1-1 at the GER in 1972 - Wisbech won the replay 3-0. Tonight’s winners will earn �1,500 prize money and a home tie against Wroxham in the next round on September 17.
As FA Cup Fen derby fever continues to grip the area Coral and Ladbrokes’ betting shops in March and Wisbech are once again offering odds on the outcome of the game.
A spokesman for Coral said their March store took around 20 bets on Saturday’s clash but no punters had placed money on a draw.
They are offering odds of a Wisbech victory tonight at 8/15, a March win at 9/2 and a draw (all results in normal time) at 23/10.
Ladbrokes have already taken bets this morning and are offering the following prices: Wisbech (4/9), March (9/2) and the draw (3/1).
Both bookmakers confirmed they will take scorecast predictions and special bets on request.
Tonight’s game kicks-off at 7.45pm at Wisbech’s Elgood’s Fenland Stadium on Lynn Road. Entry costs �6 for adults and �4 for children and concessions.
• FOR updates from tonight’s game follow me on Twitter @GavinCaney
For more on Saturday’s 1-1 draw, including reaction and a picture gallery, click on the related links on the right-hand side of this page.