Wisbech Town hotshot Dubi Ogbonna targets 30 league goals as he chases pro-deal dream
HOTSHOT Dubi Ogbonna is targeting 30 league goals for Wisbech Town this season as he continues to chase his pro-deal dream.
The 20-year-old striker has helped fire the Fenmen to the top of the league with nine goals in eight Thurlow Nunn Premier Division games.
Ogbonna, who had trials with Celtic and Southend United as a teenager, said he was enjoying life at the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium but admitted he had not given up on becoming a professional.
“I’ve had my ups and downs and I’ve been so close to a pro deal in the past,” he said. “I’ve just got to get my head down and work hard now.
“My dream is to be a pro but at Wisbech we’ve got a chairman, manager, fans and players who want to go places. It would be great to go up a few leagues and push on to bigger things with them.
“The Wisbech lads made me feel welcome when I signed and I felt at home straight away. The fans also welcomed me but I suppose I gave them a reason to!”
Ogbonna scored for the third consecutive league game as Wisbech beat Wivenhoe Town 3-1 on Saturday.
- 1 Drug-driver killed co-worker on B1101 Elm Road in March
- 2 Man, 28, and boy, 15, arrested after major A1101 crash in Wisbech
- 3 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 4 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 5 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
- 6 Jailed: 58-year-old burglar who stole £57,000 BMW M4 in Wisbech
- 7 Shoplifter, 33, who assaulted woman is on the run
- 8 Council bans use of agricultural land to extend garden
- 9 Former Baptist chapel to be turned into four-bedroom house
- 10 Knife-wielding teen jailed after week-long crime spree in Wisbech
An Adam Millson strike and a cheeky backheel from Darren Jimson secured the points for the Fenmen, who welcomed King’s Lynn Town keeper Alex Street back on his dual-registration deal.
Ogbonna said: “At Wisbech I’m surrounded by a good bunch of lads who want to do well for themselves. That’s what I’ve been looking for.
“Without being overconfident - 30 goals is my minimum this season. That’s what I’m hoping for in the league and any more would be a bonus.”
Fenmen boss Steve Appleby said: “Dubi has got that quality we needed. He’s always got an eye for goal and he can create something out of nothing.
“He’s an exciting player who is good to have in the dressing room.”
Wisbech travel to struggling FC Clacton tomorrow.