Wisbech Town maintain 100 per cent pre-season friendly record with 3-1 win over Soham Town Rangers
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Town maintained their impressive pre-season form with a 3-1 win over Soham Town Rangers on Tuesday.
New signing Charley Sanders took less than four minutes to put the Fenmen ahead at the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium, with a shot from the edge of the box.
Soham equalised a short time later through Marcus Hall, but Wisbech were back ahead midway through the first half.
Billy Smith cut in from the left wing and his shot was saved by the Soham goalkeeper, but Scott Johnson was quickest to react to the rebound and slotted home.
Nick Davey, who has returned to Wisbech for the new season, sealed the win four minutes into the second half. Wisbech also missed a penalty.
You may also want to watch:
Manager Brett Whaley said: “It was a really good test. Soham are a league above us but we are probably a little bit ahead in terms of our preparation.
“It was quite like a UCL league game, which was nice for us. We caused them problems all night.
- 1 ‘You now have s**t on your face,’ objector to planning scheme told
- 2 Man who died in road crash is named
- 3 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in live Facebook video stream
- 4 Man, 53, found in 'possession of knife' in Queensgate Shopping Centre
- 5 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 6 Reporter shares mid-treatment stages of teeth transformation
- 7 Wright hopes overseas ace's return boosts March Town play-off hopes
- 8 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 9 Here are your winners of the Pride of Whittlesey awards
- 10 Letters: Mayor's tribute, poem for a pigeon and letter release refusal
“All in all, it was a very good workout.”
On Saturday, Wisbech won the BKD cup with second half goals from debutant Declan Rodgers and Jack Brand securing a 2-0 win over March Town United at the GER.
The Fenmen have won all four of their friendly matches – they have also beaten Spalding United 2-1 and Histon 1-0.
Whaley said the results and performances have exceeded his expectations.
He said: “A month ago I had just come in and there were only five or six players in the squad. It’s been a month’s hard work not just getting the new players, but also getting them to blend together as a team as well.
“A lot of that is down to the hard work of the players. We started early and we are feeling the benefits of that.
“I could never have hoped to be where we are, but this is still pre-season and we don’t get any points for these wins. We can’t get too far ahead of ourselves.”
The build-up continues on Saturday with a trip to Kirkley & Pakefield. That’s followed by a game at Godmanchester Rovers on Tuesday.
The pre-season schedule finishes next Friday at the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium when Wisbech host local rivals King’s Lynn Town.