Wisbech Town storm into last 32 of FA Vase with comprehensive victory

WISBECH Town boss Steve Appleby hailed a near “faultless” performance after his side cruised through to the last 32 of the FA Vase.

The Fenmen dominated the match and strolled into a 4-0 lead in West Yorkshire thanks to strikes from Steven Reid, Chris Bacon, Adam Millson and Dubi Ogbonna.

And although the home side grabbed two consolation goals in the last five minutes, Appleby was delighted with the way his men played against the Dennyboys of the Baris Northern Counties East League Premier Division.

“I think early doors it was quite tight for the first 15 and Lea Jordan did pull off a fantastic one-handed save,” he said.

“But from that point onwards I think we’ve grown and really there’s only been one side in it, apart from the last five minutes when we’ve got a bit sloppy, which just took the gloss of it.

“Apart from the last five I think it’s been a faultless performance and the boys have been fantastic.

“They’ve had to work hard and roll their sleeves up and everyone has worked hard for it.”

Most Read

After an early burst from the home side, which saw Jordan deny Thackley striker Matt Mathers to his right-hand side, the Fenman took control on a difficult playing surface.

Town’s front pairing of Bacon and Ogbonna ran the home side ragged and they had a hand in all four goals.

The visitors’ dominance paid off in the 12th minute as Ogbonna squared the ball from the left and Reid ran onto it from the edge of the box before firing under keeper Mark Bower.

Reid and Ogbonna went close to doubling the lead before the excellent Bacon struck just before the interval.

Ogbonna clipped a clever through ball over a square Thackley defence and Bacon ran clear before committing Bower and dinking a delightful chip beyond the stranded keeper.

Hopes of a home comeback in the second half were quickly quashed by the Fenmen.

Their third goal came in the 48th minute as Bacon leapt high at the far post to send a looping header towards goal. Bower just managed to keep it out, but Millson was in the right place to knock in the rebound.

Just four minutes later, Ogbonna got the goal his performance deserved. Picking the ball up in the Thackley half, the pacy Town forward beat two home defenders before drilling a left-foot shot through the hapless Bower.

The Fenmen took their foot off the gas in the final five minutes and the home side pulled two goals back through substitutes Chris Davey, from the penalty spot, and Dempsey Smith with the last kick of the game.

Despite the blemishes, Appleby was a happy man and is ready for today’s fourth round draw.

“I’m not bothered,” he said. “I’m quite happy playing away from home and into the unknown almost because you just worry about yourself.”