Wisbech Town talent Sam Murphy agrees Peterborough Northern Star switch
MIDFIELD talent Sam Murphy has left Wisbech Town to join Peterborough Northern Star.
The 19-year-old, who is a product of the Fenmen youth set-up, was on the fringes of the first team last season.
But he agreed to join United Counties League PNS this week - with the offer of regular senior football too hard to turn down.
Wisbech assistant manager Chris Dear, who returned to the club last week, told fans on the club’s Internet forum that Murphy had been “extremely professional” when handling his departure.
Dear said: “Taking my Wisbech hat off, I think it’s the right thing for the lad at this time.
“I am sure Sam will be back with us one day having gained experience of playing at a very good senior level elsewhere. The door is left wide open!
“In my opinion Sam needs regular football and is a great lad with very good ability who will develop from playing regularly.
- 1 Whittlesey and March serve up cup thriller ahead of crucial weekend
- 2 Village's stunning Christmas lights display captured on camera
- 3 Grandmother paralysed by Covid slowly improving, judge told
- 4 Neighbour and PCSO prevent £4,000 fraud
- 5 Santa lightens up the Fens in run-up to Christmas
- 6 Boxing club 'absolutely gutted' as mass brawl abandons show
- 7 Government clearance needed for £200,000 year role for Eileen
- 8 Owner left excited as town's 'heirloom' features on I'm A Celebrity trial
- 9 Staff threatened with sledgehammer in armed robbery at St Neots jewellers
- 10 Attacked PC nominated for bravery award
“PNS this season are a side with a young manager who are trying to build a young side to improve over time.
“I am not sure Apps (Steve Appleby) has that luxury with expectation much higher at Wisbech (and rightly so) as we are a big club with big support and fantastic history.
“It’s maybe circumstance rather than ability that means Sam isn’t playing
regularly but I know Apps, Jimo (Darren Jimson) and myself all have bags of time for Sam and we wish him well!”
Murphy will be joined at PNS by Denny Escorcio, who has also decided to depart the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium to join up with former March Town United boss Jamie Weston.