Wisbech upset Peterborough to make Twenty20 cup semi final
- Credit: Archant
WISBECH Cricket Club upset holders Peterborough Town to move into the semi finals of the Twenty20 Jaidka Cup last night.
They came out on top in a low scoring thriller by three runs and will travel to Castor in the next round on Wednesday.
Wisbech batted first and made a modest 117-9 but an outstanding team bowling performance restricted the much vaunted Peterborough batting lineup to 114-9.
For Wisbech skipper Alan Burton, who was playing against his former club, it was a particularly sweet victory.
Burton said: “There was a lot of banter flying around so it was very pleasing to win.
You may also want to watch:
“I did not think we had enough runs but the team bowled and fielded exceptionally well.
Burton believes his side has what it takes to win in cup.
- 1 New offering can help 'encourage more participation in angling'
- 2 Businesses across the Fens reopen as lockdown restrictions ease
- 3 Lorry driver jailed for causing fatal A505 crash
- 4 ‘The Duke of Edinburgh’s security team wouldn’t let him ride our tandem...’
- 5 Spectators to be 'kept well away' when 85m chimneys come down
- 6 Council to report 'accumulations of tributes' to police
- 7 March Town mark long-awaited return with victory in double-header
- 8 More anti-Semitic graffiti appears in Ely
- 9 Council road sweeper vehicle involved in collision with car
- 10 Retrospective bid for travellers' site
He said: “We have beaten the strongest team in the competition so I’m confident we can go all the way.”