Wisbech win appeal against points deduction after Beccles postponement
WISBECH’S relegation battle has been given a huge boost after the club’s appeal against a five-point deduction was upheld.
The Harecroft Road outfit’s spiral down the table looked set to go out of control after they were punished for postponing a home clash with Beccles on November 24 because of a waterlogged pitch.
However, despite being unable to raise a side for a hastily-rearranged away fixture in Suffolk less than 24 hours later, the league’s appeals committee voted in favour of Wisbech’s plea.
The decision leaves them two places, and one point, above the drop zone in London North-East Division Three – despite losing to Norwich on Saturday.
Boss Cliff Humphreys, whose side should replay the game against the high-fliers on December 22, said: “I feel vindicated. It was my decision to call off the game on the Friday and I thought I was doing everyone a favour, especially in terms of safety.
You may also want to watch:
“Not only could we have lost the game but we could have had points deducted. Of course, I’m glad our appeal was successful and that the committee took our point of view and awarded in our favour.
“I felt down myself. I don’t want to let the players down, I want to look after them. At no point did we criticise the league secretary. He was only applying the rules and we have no grievance with what he did.
- 1 'Amazing team work' at hospital's vaccination clinic
- 2 Man suffers serious injuries after two-vehicle crash on A47
- 3 'Physically and mentally exhausted" Matt in plea to find missing beagle
- 4 Sandbags available ahead as Storm Christoph arrives
- 5 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 6 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 7 Fishing park owners await green light to open third lake
- 8 Man who spent Christmas alone in intensive care proposes to girlfriend
- 9 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 10 Driver bids to drift towards fruitful career with national success
“We just thought we were justified to enter an appeal based on the mitigating circumstances. It’s lifted my spirits and I’m extremely happy.
“Hopefully, it gives everybody a lift and we can go into the new year with vigour and rebuild. The next results aren’t the be-all and end-all now.”