Young referees from Cambridgeshire meet FIFA and Barclays Premier League ref at training event
YOUNG referees from Cambridgeshire got the chance to meet FIFA and Barclays Premier League ref Martin Atkinson in an event organised by a Whittlesey-based tutor.
Around 100 young referees attended the evening which was organised by Robert Windle to help the youngsters gain a better understanding about the art of being the man in the middle.
Atkinson, who refereed Tottenham’s 2-1 victory over Liverpool at White Hart Lane on Sunday, gave a presentation before holding a question and answer session.
Colin Hills, the referee development officer for Cambridgeshire FA, also attended the event, which was held in Peterborough, and assisted the group during a number of different workshops.
Windle said: “We’re now very lucky to have a referee for every match in the Peterborough area but we are still looking for more from the Fenland area.”
You may also want to watch:
Anybody who is aged 14 or older and is interested in taking up the whistle should contact Colin Hills on 01223 209026 or Robert Windle on 07970228790.
- 1 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 2 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 3 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 4 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 5 Residents urged to take twice-weekly rapid Covid-19 tests
- 6 Cheers! Busy first weekend back for pub post-lockdown
- 7 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 8 Dramatic drop in face-to-face GP appointments
- 9 High Sheriff of Cambridgeshire honoured with new role
- 10 Police officer sacked for racially abusing colleague at Christmas party