Thousands of youngsters take part in annual football tournament in Wisbech St Mary
- Credit: Archant
More than 8000 young footballers and supporters gathered in Wisbech St Mary this weekend for the region’s biggest tournament.
Around 400 teams of youngsters - ranging from under six sides to under 14s – travelled to Fenland from around the UK for the event.
Organisers say that since the weekend more than 100 clubs have already re-booked for next year.
Committee member, Paul Albutt, said: “The day was a huge success as it’s the largest tournament in East Anglia with youngsters up to 14 and a ladies and girls competition.
“Everyone gets a medal with the under six teams but the winners from the others go home with a trophy.
“It was a great atmosphere with good weather and lots of football activities for families such as penalty shoot outs and stalls.
“We always get a good return of clubs every year due to the fantastic organisation of it. Everything runs smooth and we’ve had some great comments back from Facebook.”
- 1 Both drivers seriously injured after head on crash
- 2 Honda, Seat and Toyota crash on A141
- 3 Doddington Minor Injuries Unit to temporarily close
- 4 Dealer responsible for £500k worth of drugs caught
- 5 Chapel conversion withdrawn following stinging rebuke
- 6 Hospitals raise car parking costs for first time in six years
- 7 Captured Cambridgeshire man 'charged with mercenary activities' by Russia
- 8 Man dies after van and lorry crash on A141
- 9 Developer going flat out to convert former post office
- 10 Man charged with attempted murder as stab victim is found
A post by organisers on social media read: “With more than 8000 visitors to the village over the last two days we would like to say a massive thank you to everyone involved who make this the largest and we feel the best organised football tournament in East Anglia.
“As in keeping with other years you may reserve your places in next year’s tournament with tournament director Mark Miller from tomorrow to avoid disappointment.
“We would like to offer our thanks to all players, parents, carers, volunteers and club sponsors who make this event happen.
“The date has now been set for next year’s tournament, it will be held on the June 8/9 2019.
“Any one wanting to reserve places please text your team name and next season’s age group to Mark on 07823332991.”
A comment on the post added: “What a great day yesterday. Was our first with you and very impressed with the standard of teams that we played and organisation of the day was spot on.”
The marquee local tournament has gone from strength to strength since it was organised by Keith William along with Terry and Joan Ardener more than 20 years ago.
The first edition took place on two pitches and involved just 10 teams.