Youth cricket round-up: Birch’s wickets help Chatteris Under-14s make perfect start
YOUNG bowler Liam Birch recorded incredible figures of four wickets for just six runs as Chatteris Under-15s got their league season off to a flying start.
Birch’s haul saw Cambourne struggle to 89-6 in the Cambridgeshire Youth League.
A fantastic opening partnership between Connor Morton (27) and Karl Anderson (18 not out) helped Chatteris to a comfortable nine-wicket victory with six overs to spare.
• WISBECH Under-14s smashed Stow Under-14s by 86 runs thanks to a stunning half century from Brodie Ellis.
Batting at number 7, Ellis hit Wisbech out of trouble and after a great partnership with Pat Reeve (36 not out) the youngsters reached an impressive 160-7 off their 20 overs. Harry Clarke led the way with two wickets as Stow limped to 74-5 in reply.
You may also want to watch:
• MITCHELL Smith took three wickets for two runs to help Wisbech Under-11s dismiss Chatteris Under-11s for just 52.
Fraser Brown (13 not out) and Rhys Howell (10) saw Wisbech to a comfortable five-wicket victory.
- 1 161-mile trip from Yorkshire to Fen village ends in Covid breach fine
- 2 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 3 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 4 All staff and residents at Chatteris care home now vaccinated against Covid
- 5 Council chief executive accused of 'indifference' over Covid-19 response
- 6 More than 60 fines issued to Covid rulebreakers in Cambs already this year
- 7 MP wants an end to floods misery in the Fens
- 8 Stolen American-style fridge was lifted over 10ft security fence
- 9 Green light for off-licence despite objections
- 10 'Eccentric traveller' spotted riding vintage bicycle ahead of historic trip
• LAWRENCE Twell guided Wisbech Under-16s to a seven-wicket win over Downham Under-16s.
The youngster hit 29 to see Wisbech home after Danny Emmington, Brodie Ellis, Harry Johnson and Harrison Smith had taken two wickets apiece to restrict Downham to 97-9.
• FERGUS Brown’s captain’s knock of 36 not out was not enough to see Wisbech Under-15s beat Littleport Under-15s.
Littleport chased Wisbech’s total of 117 for the loss of just two wickets, with Max Thomas and Tyler Moore the only bowlers to strike.
• CAPTAIN William Jupp scored 21 to help Wisbech Under-12s beat Downham Under-12s.
Tom Clayborn took 3-5 as Downham posted 62-6 but Jupp’s knock saw Wisbech ease home.