YOUTH FOOTBALL: 7,000 youngsters showcase their skills at Wisbech St Mary tournament
- Credit: Archant
Thousands of young footballers gathered in Wisbech St Mary last weekend for one of the region’s biggest tournaments.
Almost 400 teams of youngsters - ranging from under six sides to under 16s – travelled to Fenland for the tournament held across a whopping 28 pitches and showcased their skills in front of scouts from top local clubs.
A tournament spokesman said: “Thanks to all involved including all the teams who travelled to Wisbech St Mary this year and made tournament the best yet.
“We look forward to seeing you all next year.”
One of the side’s managers said: “A comment from one of my under sevens was that it was the best tournament we have ever done.”
You may also want to watch:
The marquee local tournament has gone from strength to strength since it was organised by Keith William along with Terry and Joan Ardener over 20 years ago.
The first edition took place on two pitches and involved just 10 teams.
- 1 Police officer sacked for racially abusing colleague at Christmas party
- 2 Historian who wrote 126 books and spent 64 years bellringing dies aged 90
- 3 Cambridgeshire police officer dismissed after conduct hearing
- 4 Trades group hears of alarming rise in shop worker abuse amid Covid
- 5 Police hunt homemade go-kart ‘causing anti-social behaviour’
- 6 BBC drama Casualty storyline to feature pelvic mesh implant scandal
- 7 Rural crime police recover dog in ‘poor state’ while on site check
- 8 Fen farm on more than 200 acres of land up for sale for £2.2million
- 9 Mum caught driving with revoked license on school run gets car seized
- 10 Spectators to be 'kept well away' when 85m chimneys come down