YOUTH FOOTBALL: 7,000 youngsters showcase their skills at Wisbech St Mary tournament
- Credit: Archant
Thousands of young footballers gathered in Wisbech St Mary last weekend for one of the region’s biggest tournaments.
Almost 400 teams of youngsters - ranging from under six sides to under 16s – travelled to Fenland for the tournament held across a whopping 28 pitches and showcased their skills in front of scouts from top local clubs.
A tournament spokesman said: “Thanks to all involved including all the teams who travelled to Wisbech St Mary this year and made tournament the best yet.
“We look forward to seeing you all next year.”
One of the side’s managers said: “A comment from one of my under sevens was that it was the best tournament we have ever done.”
You may also want to watch:
The marquee local tournament has gone from strength to strength since it was organised by Keith William along with Terry and Joan Ardener over 20 years ago.
The first edition took place on two pitches and involved just 10 teams.
- 1 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 2 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 3 Crash boy's mum says he's 'badly shaken but OK'
- 4 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
- 5 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 6 Council books seven hotels and guest houses for homeless
- 7 Welcome to Whittlesey - the new UK hotspot for kite surfing?
- 8 Max and Chloe become pioneers of community housing success in Cambs village
- 9 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 10 'Amazing team work' at hospital's vaccination clinic