YOUTH FOOTBALL: 7,000 youngsters showcase their skills at Wisbech St Mary tournament
- Credit: Archant
Thousands of young footballers gathered in Wisbech St Mary last weekend for one of the region’s biggest tournaments.
Almost 400 teams of youngsters - ranging from under six sides to under 16s – travelled to Fenland for the tournament held across a whopping 28 pitches and showcased their skills in front of scouts from top local clubs.
A tournament spokesman said: “Thanks to all involved including all the teams who travelled to Wisbech St Mary this year and made tournament the best yet.
“We look forward to seeing you all next year.”
One of the side’s managers said: “A comment from one of my under sevens was that it was the best tournament we have ever done.”
You may also want to watch:
The marquee local tournament has gone from strength to strength since it was organised by Keith William along with Terry and Joan Ardener over 20 years ago.
The first edition took place on two pitches and involved just 10 teams.
- 1 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 2 Aquapark boss hits back at threat of enforcement
- 3 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in East Cambs and Fenland
- 4 Students dare to dream of England Lionesses spot after trial success
- 5 Man killed in Estover Road motorbike crash named by police
- 6 Tesco staff self-isolate after being ‘pinged’ by track and trace
- 7 Man jailed for abusive rampage against ex-partner
- 8 Two drink drivers lose their licences
- 9 March lorry and cyclist collision: Eye-witness saw ‘boy laid in the road’
- 10 Motor cyclist killed in March crash