Youth football round-up: Too late for Acorns

FENLAND Park, home of Wisbech Town FC, was the venue for this year s Fenland and District Youth Soccer League finals. The first competition on Thursday evening was the boys under-12 final between Lutton and Wisbech Town Acorns. Lutton began the better si

FENLAND Park, home of Wisbech Town FC, was the venue for this year's Fenland and District Youth Soccer League finals.

The first competition on Thursday evening was the boys' under-12 final between Lutton and Wisbech Town Acorns.

Lutton began the better side and scored three first-half goals. Acorns were unable to reduce the deficit until the final minute when they netted a consolation.

League champions: Walpole. Runners-up: Wisbech Town Acorns.

The second final of the evening was the girls' under-18 clash between Coates Crusaders and North Lynn and a single first half goal proved enough for Coates.

League champions: North Lynn. Runners-up: Coates Crusaders.

Most Read

FRIDAY proved to be a busier day, with semi-finals, third and fourth place play-offs and finals all contested by teams from Lutton, March Soccer School, Parson Drove and Wisbech Town Acorns.

In the first semi-final, Lutton scored a very late winner to beat Parson Drove 2-1. In the other semi, Wisbech Town Acorns went through on penalties after a closely fought match with March Soccer School ended 2-2 at the end of extra time.

Penalties were also needed to decide the third place play-off game but this time March were successful and beat Parson Drove after the game ended 0-0.

Lutton proved to be victorious in the final after they came away with a 3-1 win against Wisbech Town Acorns.

League champions: Wisbech St Mary Yellows. Runners-up: Wisbech Town Acorns.

SATURDAY'S action began with the under-sevens competition and in two high-scoring semi-finals, Chatteris Orange beat Wisbech St Mary 5-2 and Woodston Dynamos overcame Whittlesey 7-0.

Wisbech St Mary took third place after penalties were needed to decide their match with Whittlesey. The game ended 2-2 after extra time.

The final between Woodston and Chatteris proved to be another close match but in the end, Woodston secured a league and cup double with a 3-1 victory.

League champions: Woodston Dynamos. Runners-up: Hungate Rovers Yellows.

In the under-eight competition, Whittlesey went through to the final after a 3-2 victory against March Soccer School A and in the other semi-final, Wisbech St Mary Purples suffered their first defeat of the season, losing 5-3 to Three Holes.

March took third place after their 2-1 victory over Purples and Three Holes won in the final, beating Whittlesey 3-1.

League Champions: Wisbech St Mary Purple. Runners-up: March Soccer School A.

SUNDAY proved to be the busiest day of competition and it began with the boys' under-nine event.

Two teams from Leverington and Bridgecroft, the Whites and the Blues met in the first semi-final and it was the Whites who progressed with a 4-0 win.

Hungate Green and Yellows also booked their place in the final with a 4-0 victory against Wisbech St Mary Purples.

Purples bounced back to beat Blues 2-0 in the third place play-off and Hungate won in the final with a 5-0 victory over Whites.

League champions: March Soccer School A. Runners-up: Hungate Green & Yellows.

Wisbech St Mary was the first team through to the final of the girls' under-11 competition after they beat Stamford Stars 3-1.

The other finalists were March Soccer School, who beat Woottons 1-0 in the semi-final.

Stamford took third place with a 5-1 victory over Woottons and a single goal was enough to decide the final, won by Wisbech St Mary, who took the league and cup double.

League champions: Wisbech St Mary. Runners-up: Stamford Stars.

In the under-10 semi-finals, March Soccer School beat an improving Chatteris side 2-0 before Wisbech St Mary Purples beat Lutton with a single goal.

Lutton beat Chatteris 2-0 to take third place and Purples secured a league and cup double with a 2-0 victory over March.

League champions: Wisbech St Mary Purple. Runners-up: March Soccer School.

North Lynn were the first team to progress to the girls' under-13 final after they beat Heacham Minors 2-0.

Stamford won the other semi-final with a 2-0 victory against Hungate.

Heacham took third place after beating Hungate 4-1 while two late goals gave North Lynn a dramatic 2-1 victory over Stamford in the final.

League Champions East: Heacham Minors. Runners-up: North Lynn. West: Stamford Girls. Runners-up: Whittlesey.

In the final competition of the weekend, Three Holes booked a place in the girls' under-15 final with a 2-1 victory against Spalding.

Wyberton beat Clenchwarton by a single goal in the second semi-final but Clenchwarton recovered to take third place with a victory on penalties against Spalding.

In the final, Wyberton played fine football to beat a plucky Three Holes team 3-0.

League champions - East: Hungate Rovers Yellows. Runners-up: Three Holes and Upwell. West: Wyberton Wildcats. Runners-up: Stamford.

THE League wishes to thank all spectators, the match officials who too part in the finals day and Wisbech Town FC for allowing the finals to be played at Fenland Park.

Applications are now being taken from teams wishing to play in the Fenland and District Youth Soccer League next season.

There will be under-seven and under-eight leagues at six-a-side, under-nine and under-10s at seven-a-side, under-11 and under-12s nine-a-side and an under-13 11-a-side league.

Girls under-10, under-12, under-14 and under-16 teams will play seven-a-side and there will also be a girls under-16 11-a-side league.

For further information and an application form, contact the league general secretary, Terry Major by writing to Ruindus, Hall Road, Outwell, Wisbech, Cambs PE14 8PE, calling 01945 773144 or 07905 521445, or via e-mail at