Big band swing comes to Wisbech St Mary
- Credit: Archant
The sounds of big band swing music comes to the Fens when a night of musical perfection comes to Wisbech St Mary village hall.
An amateur swing orchestra under the direction of a top BBC musical director will bring back the lush sounds of the 1940s era at the performance on Saturday March 28.
Downham Market Swing Band was formed by renowned musical director Cy Payne, who worked with many famous artists including Shirley Bassey, Sir Elton John and Julio Iglesias with a show that is set to delight audiences with a hot of lush 40s sounds, including Glenn Miller swing tunes
Mr Payne’s career spanned 60 years as a musical director, composer and arranger in television, radio films, records and live theatre.
As well as working wit the BBC and major names in the music industry he had considerable involvement with military bands since 1965, arranging for Trooping the Colour, The Royal Tournament, Royal weddings.
You may also want to watch:
Most of the major military bands have Cy Payne arrangements in their libraries. He was also commissioned to compose new Regimental marches.
The music starts at 8pm.
- 1 Vaccine roll-out begins, 12 hours a day, seven days a week
- 2 'Small number of Covid-19 deaths' at care home
- 3 Artist impressions of how Mepal will be transformed into a £6.5m crematorium
- 4 Coronavirus test centre staff ‘receive abuse’ from angry motorists
- 5 Council offers reserved parking for elderly heading for Covid jab
- 6 Slimmer's life-changing weight loss story
- 7 Tributes to 'loving, kind family man' and community stalwart
- 8 Minor injury unit closes to allow staff to respond to crisis in the community
- 9 Man attempts to smuggle MDMA tablets disguised as Mars Bar into jail
- 10 Man, 39, convicted of assault on two HMRC officers by beating
Tickets are available at £7.50 from the Centre or 0845 2255566 or firstname.lastname@example.org There is a bar and the evening is for just listening or to dance to some great favourites.