Big band swing comes to Wisbech St Mary
- Credit: Archant
The sounds of big band swing music comes to the Fens when a night of musical perfection comes to Wisbech St Mary village hall.
An amateur swing orchestra under the direction of a top BBC musical director will bring back the lush sounds of the 1940s era at the performance on Saturday March 28.
Downham Market Swing Band was formed by renowned musical director Cy Payne, who worked with many famous artists including Shirley Bassey, Sir Elton John and Julio Iglesias with a show that is set to delight audiences with a hot of lush 40s sounds, including Glenn Miller swing tunes
Mr Payne’s career spanned 60 years as a musical director, composer and arranger in television, radio films, records and live theatre.
As well as working wit the BBC and major names in the music industry he had considerable involvement with military bands since 1965, arranging for Trooping the Colour, The Royal Tournament, Royal weddings.
Most of the major military bands have Cy Payne arrangements in their libraries. He was also commissioned to compose new Regimental marches.
The music starts at 8pm.
- 1 Developer claims 109-home estate would be 'wholly appropriate'
- 2 Convenience store transformed thanks to £116k facelift
- 3 Prison for 'lavish lifestyle' drug dealer who hid £18k cash in sock drawer
- 4 WATCH: Extinction Rebellion block Amazon warehouse
- 5 How do Cambridgeshire Fens' Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown?
- 6 Motorcyclist, 32, injured after A605 crash
- 7 Santa's magical, mystery arrival in the Fens on a tractor
- 8 Police shut off A605 after 'single vehicle' crash
- 9 OPINION: Alliance challenges 'political point scoring' by opposition leader
- 10 Driver escapes injury after car hits wall
Tickets are available at £7.50 from the Centre or 0845 2255566 or firstname.lastname@example.org There is a bar and the evening is for just listening or to dance to some great favourites.