Big band swing comes to Wisbech St Mary
- Credit: Archant
The sounds of big band swing music comes to the Fens when a night of musical perfection comes to Wisbech St Mary village hall.
An amateur swing orchestra under the direction of a top BBC musical director will bring back the lush sounds of the 1940s era at the performance on Saturday March 28.
Downham Market Swing Band was formed by renowned musical director Cy Payne, who worked with many famous artists including Shirley Bassey, Sir Elton John and Julio Iglesias with a show that is set to delight audiences with a hot of lush 40s sounds, including Glenn Miller swing tunes
Mr Payne’s career spanned 60 years as a musical director, composer and arranger in television, radio films, records and live theatre.
As well as working wit the BBC and major names in the music industry he had considerable involvement with military bands since 1965, arranging for Trooping the Colour, The Royal Tournament, Royal weddings.
You may also want to watch:
Most of the major military bands have Cy Payne arrangements in their libraries. He was also commissioned to compose new Regimental marches.
The music starts at 8pm.
- 1 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 2 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 3 Woman, 78, suffers horrific injuries after e-scooter hit-and-run
- 4 Man charged with murder of woman in her 70s
- 5 'Unreasonable behaviour' means Steve must pay council's costs of failed appeal
- 6 Widow of High Court judge, 77, charged with historical sexual abuse
- 7 'Police repeatedly failed me' over noisy neighbour saga, claims resident
- 8 Fleeing heroin dealer rams police car but they get him in the end
- 9 Count admits he 'must carry personally' some blame for losses
- 10 Welcome relief as hairdresser back at care home
Tickets are available at £7.50 from the Centre or 0845 2255566 or email@example.com There is a bar and the evening is for just listening or to dance to some great favourites.