Big weekend of events planned as Olympic torch arrives in Cambridge
A WEEKEND of events has been planned around the arrival of the Olympic Torch in Cambridge, with something for all the family to enjoy.
At about 6pm on Saturday, the torch will be carried west along Newmarket Road from the junction of Ditton Lane, turning left into Barnwell Road and Brooks Road (A1134), before turning right to make its final approach to the city centre along Mill Road.
The torch transfers to torchbearer mode at Ditton Lane at approximately 6pm.
The flame will make its way to the celebration stage on Parker’s Piece at about 6.50pm, for the lighting of the Olympic cauldron.
To mark the arrival, there will be an evening of celebration that will include music, dance, fireworks, huge animated puppets and dreamlike flame laterns.
You may also want to watch:
On Sunday morning, the flame will be in the Great Court at Trinity College, the site of the famous Great Court Run featured in the 1981 film Chariots of Fire and recreated by Sebastian Coe and Steve Cram in 1988.
At about 6.45am, the flame will then travel along the River Cam by punt to Magdalene Bridge. From there it will be carried north out of the city via Magdalene Street, Castle Street and Huntingdon Road, leaving at about 7.45am.
- 1 Woman escapes unharmed after car and bus B1101 crash
- 2 Tributes paid to 'much loved' Gabija killed in A605 crash
- 3 Family tribute to grandfather killed in A1123 crash
- 4 ‘I’m tired of being fobbed off’ says customer of Wisbech builder
- 5 Man dies in A11 ditch crash
- 6 Wife's tribute to husband killed in B1101 Elm Road crash
- 7 Mum overwhelmed by support for 'angel gowns' project
- 8 14-year-old footballer's 'dream' comes true after securing England trial
- 9 Uber-style app could mean doorstep bus pick up
- 10 Woman left 'terrified' after spitting assault