Burghley House to hold audience with Queen Elizabeth I
- Credit: Archant
A special one-off event will be held at Burghley House which will bring to life Queen Elizabeth I.
‘An Audience with Elizabeth I’ will see Elizabethan historian Lesley Smith will talk about her legacy, while Lesley Smith, curator of Tutbury Castle, will be in character as Queen Elizabeth I.
The event, which will also include evening drinks in the Orangery Restaurant, will transport guests back to the time of Drake, Raleigh and Shakespeare on England’s voyage into the Renaissance.
Recognised as one of the country’s finest Elizabethan buildings, Burghley House was built in 1587 by chief minister William Cecil as a tribute to the Queen.
Despite there being a Queen Elizabeth Bedroom among the state rooms open to the public, Elizabeth never stayed at Burghley, with her one planned visit called off at the last minute because William Cecil’s daughter had smallpox.
You may also want to watch:
An Audience with Elizabeth I starts at 6pm and the lecture ends at about 8.30pm.
Tickets are £14 and include a glass of wine and places are limited so early booking is advised.
- 1 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 2 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 3 Woman, 78, suffers horrific injuries after e-scooter hit-and-run
- 4 Man charged with murder of woman in her 70s
- 5 'Unreasonable behaviour' means Steve must pay council's costs of failed appeal
- 6 Widow of High Court judge, 77, charged with historical sexual abuse
- 7 'Police repeatedly failed me' over noisy neighbour saga, claims resident
- 8 Fleeing heroin dealer rams police car but they get him in the end
- 9 Count admits he 'must carry personally' some blame for losses
- 10 Welcome relief as hairdresser back at care home
For full details of opening times, events and to book online tickets, visit www.burghley.co.uk or telephone 01780 752451.
The House is open from March 15- November 2 daily (except Fridays) from 11am-5pm (last admission 4.30pm).
Admission: House and The Gardens of Surprise - adults £13; children (3–15 years) £6.50; seniors/students £11.80; family (2 adults & 2 children) £35.