Candlelight, bubbly and romantic piano music, a perfect recipe to celebrate Valentine’s Day
- Credit: Archant
AN evening of candlelight, romantic piano music and bubbly is on offer at Ely Cathedral to celebrate Valentine’s Day, when award winning pianist Warren Mailley-Smith will give a recital in the stunning surroundings of the Lady Chapel.
Warren –who has received more than 30 invitations to perform for the Royal Family – will perform a selection of classics guaranteed to tug at the heart strings, from Gershwin’s Rapsody in Blue to Beethoven’s Moonlight Sonata.
At the recital on February 16, Warrren will be joined on stage by international soprano Susan Parkes in a selection of popular arias by Puccini and Bizet.
Rising stars the Billroth String Quartet will accompany Warren in a performance of a sparking Mozart piano concerto.
Warren was brought up in Earith, near Sutton. He began piano lessons at the age of four, and his ambition to perform in the cathedral was born when he visited the stunning building when still a small boy.
He has played at Buckingham Palace, Highgrove and Sandringham, and has played to critical acclaim at solo concerts in Wigmore Hall London and Carnegie Hall, New York.
Warren studied at the Royal College of Music where he won numerous postgraduate prizes including a Countess of Munster Award and the French Piano Music Prize.
- 1 New dessert shop bids to become 'best in the area'
- 2 Family's tribute to 'son in a million' killed in motorbike crash
- 3 Two escape unhurt after car plunges into river
- 4 £4,000 raised for Natalie to live her dreams after cancer diagnosis
- 5 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 6 Covid-19 'virtual ward' will help patients recover at home
- 7 Family run tea room closes after 10 years in business
- 8 Café holds 'heavy heart' as it announces closure
- 9 Bungalow fire in town was ‘accidental’
- 10 Improve your selfies and photographs by joining new group
Warren’s solo career now sees him performing extensively in festivals and concert venues across the UK, Europe, the USA and China, and he has recorded five CDs.
The Valentine’s Concert starts at 7.30pm. tickets cost £18, including a complimentary glass of bubbly. For tickets, contact the box office on 01353 660349 https://tickets.elycathedral.org