Candlelight, bubbly and romantic piano music, a perfect recipe to celebrate Valentine’s Day
- Credit: Archant
AN evening of candlelight, romantic piano music and bubbly is on offer at Ely Cathedral to celebrate Valentine’s Day, when award winning pianist Warren Mailley-Smith will give a recital in the stunning surroundings of the Lady Chapel.
Warren –who has received more than 30 invitations to perform for the Royal Family – will perform a selection of classics guaranteed to tug at the heart strings, from Gershwin’s Rapsody in Blue to Beethoven’s Moonlight Sonata.
At the recital on February 16, Warrren will be joined on stage by international soprano Susan Parkes in a selection of popular arias by Puccini and Bizet.
Rising stars the Billroth String Quartet will accompany Warren in a performance of a sparking Mozart piano concerto.
Warren was brought up in Earith, near Sutton. He began piano lessons at the age of four, and his ambition to perform in the cathedral was born when he visited the stunning building when still a small boy.
You may also want to watch:
He has played at Buckingham Palace, Highgrove and Sandringham, and has played to critical acclaim at solo concerts in Wigmore Hall London and Carnegie Hall, New York.
Warren studied at the Royal College of Music where he won numerous postgraduate prizes including a Countess of Munster Award and the French Piano Music Prize.
- 1 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
- 2 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 3 Chatteris firm with £20m growth plan
- 4 Family remembers 'cheeky, friendly and well-liked' mechanic
- 5 Body found in Wisbech road
- 6 Hares hit five, Wisbech win, Whittlesey victorious as Drove triumph
- 7 Diamond celebrations for former mayor and council chairman
- 8 ‘High risk’ paedophile had indecent images of children on his phone
- 9 Tractor driver error may have caused freight derailment in the Fens
- 10 Man confronted in live stream cleared of all sex abuse allegations
Warren’s solo career now sees him performing extensively in festivals and concert venues across the UK, Europe, the USA and China, and he has recorded five CDs.
The Valentine’s Concert starts at 7.30pm. tickets cost £18, including a complimentary glass of bubbly. For tickets, contact the box office on 01353 660349 https://tickets.elycathedral.org