Carousel crew hope you’ll want to climb aboard for super Stevenage show
- Credit: Archant
It gave the world a clutch of standards including June Is Busting Out All Over and the evergreen You’ll Never Walk Alone, and it’s been hailed as the finest stage musical of all time.
And Stevenage’s Lytton Players are determined to do justice to the masterpiece created by Rodgers and Hammerstein 70 years ago when the curtain goes up on their big production at the town’s Gordon Craig Theatre next month.
To drum up interest in Carousel the Players decamped from their Vardon Road base and flooded into the town centre on Saturday to regale shoppers with selections from the score.
Co-producer Luke Crouch, who was among the party, said shoppers enjoyed the outdoor entertainment.
The company has been working on the production since January under the direction of Maxine Holmes, with Derek Blyth as musical director and Wendy Wartnaby as choreographer,
You may also want to watch:
The show will run at the Gordon Craig from Thursday, May 14, to Saturday, May 16.
The show starts at 7.30pm each evening and there’s also a Saturday matinee at 2.30pm.
- 1 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 2 Care home 'requires improvement' after unannounced visit
- 3 Jonathan Van Tam’s mum gets Covid-19 vaccination at Cambs clinic
- 4 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 5 'Amazing team work' at hospital's vaccination clinic
- 6 Shoplifter jailed after stealing goods worth £1,600
- 7 'Not a sprint, a marathon' cautions NHS staff in the Fens
- 8 Crossing company praised for using local workers and suppliers
- 9 'Physically and mentally exhausted" Matt in plea to find missing beagle
- 10 Welcome to Whittlesey - the new UK hotspot for kite surfing?