Chatteris Christmas lights create a sparkle
- Credit: Archant
Chatteris will come alive with a splash of sparkly colour when the big lights switch on takes place on Saturday afternoon.
Thousands of pounds of lights have been put in place ready for the grand annual switch on at 4.30.
Established in 1985, Chatteris Christmas Lights are recognised as one of the best displays in the area and the scheme is acknowledged as an annual diary date for people from miles around.
Since then some £90,000 has been raised through collections, raffles and many other events to maintain and expand the scheme. The current replacement value of the display is nearly £100,000.
The streets will be lined with traders to help get everybody into the festive spirit and Santa will be in his grotto ready to meet and greet youngsters as well as fun fair rides and refreshments.
You may also want to watch:
The Salvation Army will hold a Christmas Fayre and the Variante Ensemble will play seasonal music in Market Hill Gardens.
In St Peter & St Paul’s Parish Church the annual Christmas Tree Festival is also a popular attraction while the Emmanuel Church in East Park Street will serve hot soup.
- 1 Man charged with murder of woman in her 70s
- 2 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 3 Widow of High Court judge, 77, charged with historical sexual abuse
- 4 Firefighters attempted to resuscitate suspected murder victim
- 5 Commuter chaos as van blaze causes miles of congestion
- 6 'Unreasonable behaviour' means Steve must pay council's costs of failed appeal
- 7 Suspected drink lorry driver threw whiskey and wine bottle from cab
- 8 Police forensics team begin search after death of woman in her 70s
- 9 Count admits he 'must carry personally' some blame for losses
- 10 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after death of woman in her 70s
The Lights Committee is entirely voluntary and the results of their many hours of hard work, before and after the event, are enthusiastically appreciated by the residents and visitors to Chatteris over the festive season.
During the Christmas period the lights are on daily from 3 to midnight.