Chatteris Christmas lights create a sparkle
- Credit: Archant
Chatteris will come alive with a splash of sparkly colour when the big lights switch on takes place on Saturday afternoon.
Thousands of pounds of lights have been put in place ready for the grand annual switch on at 4.30.
Established in 1985, Chatteris Christmas Lights are recognised as one of the best displays in the area and the scheme is acknowledged as an annual diary date for people from miles around.
Since then some £90,000 has been raised through collections, raffles and many other events to maintain and expand the scheme. The current replacement value of the display is nearly £100,000.
The streets will be lined with traders to help get everybody into the festive spirit and Santa will be in his grotto ready to meet and greet youngsters as well as fun fair rides and refreshments.
You may also want to watch:
The Salvation Army will hold a Christmas Fayre and the Variante Ensemble will play seasonal music in Market Hill Gardens.
In St Peter & St Paul’s Parish Church the annual Christmas Tree Festival is also a popular attraction while the Emmanuel Church in East Park Street will serve hot soup.
- 1 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 2 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 3 March Town mark long-awaited step five return with opening day defeat
- 4 Abandoned mooring could cost £50,000 to replace, says council
- 5 Sweet Caroline and a dodgy knee - review of Olly Murs at Newmarket Nights
- 6 Blush crowned best bridal shop in Cambs
- 7 Did you go to Newmarket Nights? Spot yourself in our gallery
- 8 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
- 9 Not breaking news: Vicar with a vision, illegal fishing, workhouses and fork theft
- 10 Teenager, 16, threatened young couple with screwdriver in park
The Lights Committee is entirely voluntary and the results of their many hours of hard work, before and after the event, are enthusiastically appreciated by the residents and visitors to Chatteris over the festive season.
During the Christmas period the lights are on daily from 3 to midnight.