Chatteris Christmas lights create a sparkle
- Credit: Archant
Chatteris will come alive with a splash of sparkly colour when the big lights switch on takes place on Saturday afternoon.
Thousands of pounds of lights have been put in place ready for the grand annual switch on at 4.30.
Established in 1985, Chatteris Christmas Lights are recognised as one of the best displays in the area and the scheme is acknowledged as an annual diary date for people from miles around.
Since then some £90,000 has been raised through collections, raffles and many other events to maintain and expand the scheme. The current replacement value of the display is nearly £100,000.
The streets will be lined with traders to help get everybody into the festive spirit and Santa will be in his grotto ready to meet and greet youngsters as well as fun fair rides and refreshments.
You may also want to watch:
The Salvation Army will hold a Christmas Fayre and the Variante Ensemble will play seasonal music in Market Hill Gardens.
In St Peter & St Paul’s Parish Church the annual Christmas Tree Festival is also a popular attraction while the Emmanuel Church in East Park Street will serve hot soup.
- 1 MP visits hospital about to become centre of Covid-19 vaccine rollout
- 2 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 3 Owner's desperate plea - and £500 reward - to find missing dog
- 4 Rugby club fears vendetta after vandals strike again
- 5 Nitrous oxide canisters no laughing matter say Fenland police
- 6 'Big red key' used by cops in dawn raid on suspected drug dealers
- 7 Ditch crash victim seriously injured
- 8 Vaccine roll-out begins, 12 hours a day, seven days a week
- 9 Homes 'siloed on edge of village like old-style council estate'
- 10 'Small number of Covid-19 deaths' at care home
The Lights Committee is entirely voluntary and the results of their many hours of hard work, before and after the event, are enthusiastically appreciated by the residents and visitors to Chatteris over the festive season.
During the Christmas period the lights are on daily from 3 to midnight.