Commemorative Katharine of Aragon Festival to be held at Peterborough Cathedral and Vivacity at the end of January
- Credit: Archant
To celebrate Katharine of Aragon, the first wife of Henry VIII, who was buried at Peterborough Cathedral on 29 January 1536, a festival in her name will be held at the end of January.
The event, which takes place from Thursday 28 to Sunday 31 January and is organised by Peterborough Cathedral and Vivacity, will ‘honour Katharine and highlight the fascinating and dangerous times in which she lived.
From 10am on Friday 29 a procession of civic dignitaries, schoolchildren and the period musicians of Hautbois will proceed from Peterborough Museum to the cathedral for a service of commemoration.
During the service wreaths will be laid on Katharine of Aragon’s tomb, and her moving last letter to Henry VIII will be read.
In the evening, TV historian and writer Dr Jonathan Foyle will give an illustrated talk about “The forgotten origins of the Tudor rose”. Dr Foyle, who was one of the panellists on BBC 2’s Great History Quiz on Christmas Eve and is a former curator at Hampton Court, will explain some of the mysteries behind the Tudor rose symbol in King Henry and Queen Katharine’s time.
You may also want to watch:
Before the talk a Tudor-style pottage and ale supper will be served in the Becket Chapel of the cathedral, served by staff in Tudor costume, with Tudor music.
Then, at Peterborough Museum on Saturday 30 and Sunday 31, there will be a range of family-friendly activities, including historical re-enactors, armour for people to try on and Tudor food to eat.
- 1 Woman claims police officer ‘forced himself’ upon her
- 2 Bombshell result in village polls leaves 115 homes plan in doubt
- 3 Magpas chief executive 'surprised and honoured' by MBE
- 4 'A crash waiting to happen' say police
- 5 Van overturns after striking Ely’s infamous ‘most bashed bridge’
- 6 New ditch to relieve flood issues 'more challenging than expected'
- 7 ‘Shift well spent!’: Fen Cops target illegal motorists in day of action
- 8 Lorry driver makes a fundamental error at Fenland roundabout...
- 9 'Harassment' forces village speedwatch team to close
- 10 Tea rooms may become a bedsit
For more information about the Katharine of Aragon Festival, visit www.peterborough-cathedral.org.uk or www.vivacity-peterborough.com