D-Day Darlings to land in Peterborough and celebrate The Songs That Won The War
- Credit: Archant
The D-Day Darlings will pay tribute to ‘The Songs That Won The War’ with a concert at the Key Theatre, Peterborough.
Set in the heart of wartime Britain, the show tells a story of a vocal-harmony trio seeking to get their big break in the heart of the Second World War.
It features a range of memorable 1940s songs, from the likes of Gracie Fields, The Andrews Sisters and Dame Vera Lynn, who is also a keen supporter of the show.
Katie Ashby, the show’s director and cast member, said: “We are excited to be performing two shows in Peterborough as part of this year’s tour to commemorate the 70th anniversary of D-Day and the Battle of Normandy.
“During the war, Peterborough was elected a safe place for children to be evacuated to yet people across the city went on to encounter bombings and machine gunfire.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s hard to comprehend living in a time where the sounding of air raid sirens is commonplace, the people were so resilient.
“The solidarity and community spirit that kept our ancestors strong through these difficult times is really what inspired me to put this show together.
- 1 Jail for paedophile who booked hotel to abuse three children
- 2 Turners ‘massively impacted’ and Knowles up pay to hire HGV drivers
- 3 Villagers team up to honour 'a real character'
- 4 Hunt is on to find stags that escaped from farm
- 5 Bomb scare was a 'hoax' say police
- 6 It's a family affair as planners consider five luxury homes
- 7 Police warn you may run but you can't hide from us
- 8 100mph, 20-minute police pursuit ends with a crash – and later with jail
- 9 'Marvellous' Lilian celebrates 103rd birthday
- 10 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
“It’s an honour to share the music and memories that kept Britain smiling through its darkest days. It also presents the opportunity to highlight the work that the Royal British Legion do to help war veterans, past and present.”
The D-Day Darlings will be performing at the Key Theatre on Saturday, June 7, at 2.30pm and 7.30pm. Tickets cost £15 for adults, £13.50 concessions. Call the box office on 01733 207239 or visit www.vivacity-peterborough.com
For more information about The D-Day Darlings, visit www.ddaydarlings.com, follow @ddaydarlings on Twitter or search for D-Day Darlings on Facebook.