D-Day Darlings to land in Peterborough and celebrate The Songs That Won The War
- Credit: Archant
The D-Day Darlings will pay tribute to ‘The Songs That Won The War’ with a concert at the Key Theatre, Peterborough.
Set in the heart of wartime Britain, the show tells a story of a vocal-harmony trio seeking to get their big break in the heart of the Second World War.
It features a range of memorable 1940s songs, from the likes of Gracie Fields, The Andrews Sisters and Dame Vera Lynn, who is also a keen supporter of the show.
Katie Ashby, the show’s director and cast member, said: “We are excited to be performing two shows in Peterborough as part of this year’s tour to commemorate the 70th anniversary of D-Day and the Battle of Normandy.
“During the war, Peterborough was elected a safe place for children to be evacuated to yet people across the city went on to encounter bombings and machine gunfire.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s hard to comprehend living in a time where the sounding of air raid sirens is commonplace, the people were so resilient.
“The solidarity and community spirit that kept our ancestors strong through these difficult times is really what inspired me to put this show together.
- 1 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 2 Care home 'requires improvement' after unannounced visit
- 3 Jonathan Van Tam’s mum gets Covid-19 vaccination at Cambs clinic
- 4 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 5 Shoplifter jailed after stealing goods worth £1,600
- 6 'Amazing team work' at hospital's vaccination clinic
- 7 'Not a sprint, a marathon' cautions NHS staff in the Fens
- 8 Crossing company praised for using local workers and suppliers
- 9 'Physically and mentally exhausted" Matt in plea to find missing beagle
- 10 Welcome to Whittlesey - the new UK hotspot for kite surfing?
“It’s an honour to share the music and memories that kept Britain smiling through its darkest days. It also presents the opportunity to highlight the work that the Royal British Legion do to help war veterans, past and present.”
The D-Day Darlings will be performing at the Key Theatre on Saturday, June 7, at 2.30pm and 7.30pm. Tickets cost £15 for adults, £13.50 concessions. Call the box office on 01733 207239 or visit www.vivacity-peterborough.com
For more information about The D-Day Darlings, visit www.ddaydarlings.com, follow @ddaydarlings on Twitter or search for D-Day Darlings on Facebook.