Dame Helen Mirren performs live for Ely cinema audience this summer
- Credit: Archant
Cinema goers in Ely will get the chance to see national treasure Dame Helen Mirren perform live this summer, when the National Theatre Live season at The Maltings continues with a screening of The Audience.
Tickets are already on sale for the play, being beamed direct from London’s Gielgud Theatre on June 13. In this much anticipated production, Helen Mirren reprises her Academy Award winning role as Queen Elizabeth II.
For sixty years Elizabeth II has met each of her twelve Prime Ministers in a weekly audience at Buckingham Palace, and both parties have an unspoken agreement never to repeat what is said. Not even to their spouses.
But The Audience breaks this contract of silence – and imagines a series of pivotal meetings between the Downing Street incumbents and their Queen.
The Audience, a new play written by Peter Morgan, is directed by Academy Award-nominated director Stephen Daldry (Billy Elliot, The Hours).
You may also want to watch:
Tickets fort the 7pm show cost £13, £12 for cinema members, and £11 for concessions. To book, call 01353 616991.
- 1 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 2 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 3 Woman, 78, suffers horrific injuries after e-scooter hit-and-run
- 4 'Unreasonable behaviour' means Steve must pay council's costs of failed appeal
- 5 Man charged with murder of woman in her 70s
- 6 'Police repeatedly failed me' over noisy neighbour saga, claims resident
- 7 Widow of High Court judge, 77, charged with historical sexual abuse
- 8 Fleeing heroin dealer rams police car but they get him in the end
- 9 Welcome relief as hairdresser back at care home
- 10 Lorry driver loses control on motorway in booze-fuelled collision