Dame Helen Mirren performs live for Ely cinema audience this summer
- Credit: Archant
Cinema goers in Ely will get the chance to see national treasure Dame Helen Mirren perform live this summer, when the National Theatre Live season at The Maltings continues with a screening of The Audience.
Tickets are already on sale for the play, being beamed direct from London’s Gielgud Theatre on June 13. In this much anticipated production, Helen Mirren reprises her Academy Award winning role as Queen Elizabeth II.
For sixty years Elizabeth II has met each of her twelve Prime Ministers in a weekly audience at Buckingham Palace, and both parties have an unspoken agreement never to repeat what is said. Not even to their spouses.
But The Audience breaks this contract of silence – and imagines a series of pivotal meetings between the Downing Street incumbents and their Queen.
The Audience, a new play written by Peter Morgan, is directed by Academy Award-nominated director Stephen Daldry (Billy Elliot, The Hours).
You may also want to watch:
Tickets fort the 7pm show cost £13, £12 for cinema members, and £11 for concessions. To book, call 01353 616991.
- 1 Turners ‘massively impacted’ and Knowles up pay to hire HGV drivers
- 2 Mobile upgrade work may cause TV interference
- 3 ‘Enough is enough’ says MP at the scene of drink drive crash
- 4 MP the “most handsome and kindest member of the government’
- 5 Hunt is on to find stags that escaped from farm
- 6 Villagers team up to honour 'a real character'
- 7 Sex offender caught with 76 of most serious child abuse photos
- 8 ‘Tired and dated’ road can only get better with our 40 new homes, say builders
- 9 'No excuse' not to publish costs says funeral director
- 10 Community group to review case of missing Terry McSpadden