Ely Choral Society perform Monarchy Restored in Ely Cathedral’s Lady Chapel
- Credit: Archant
Ely Choral Society will provide a fascianting and exciting look at music from the time of Charles II when they perform a concert entitled Monarchy Restored in the Lady Chapel of Ely Cathedral on Saturday, October 26.
On the restoration of the monarchy, Charles II was returned to the throne of England, and presided over a revival of church and court music based on his experience in French exile.
The concert will include much of this sparkling new repertoire by Pelham Humfrey, Jean-Baptiste Lully, John Blow and Henry Purcell, including his ‘Come Ye Sons of Art’.
The soloists will be soprano Catriona Clarke, Ashley Harries countertenor, Karl Read countertenor, David Calvert tenor and Mark Gotham bass.
This concert will also mark the debut with Ely Choral Society of Ely Cathedral assistant organist Edmund Aldhouse playing organ continuo.The chorus will be accompanied by the Ely Festival Players led by Helen Medlock, and the concert will be conducted by Andrew Parnell.
You may also want to watch:
Tickets cost £20 and £15, under 18’s £5. Ely Cathedral Box Office, 01353 660349.
- 1 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 2 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 3 March Town mark long-awaited step five return with opening day defeat
- 4 Abandoned mooring could cost £50,000 to replace, says council
- 5 Town rallies in fight for new hospital
- 6 Did you go to Newmarket Nights? Spot yourself in our gallery
- 7 Teenager, 16, threatened young couple with screwdriver in park
- 8 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
- 9 Sweet Caroline and a dodgy knee - review of Olly Murs at Newmarket Nights
- 10 Alleged paedophile released on bail