Ely Choral Society perform Monarchy Restored in Ely Cathedral’s Lady Chapel
- Credit: Archant
Ely Choral Society will provide a fascianting and exciting look at music from the time of Charles II when they perform a concert entitled Monarchy Restored in the Lady Chapel of Ely Cathedral on Saturday, October 26.
On the restoration of the monarchy, Charles II was returned to the throne of England, and presided over a revival of church and court music based on his experience in French exile.
The concert will include much of this sparkling new repertoire by Pelham Humfrey, Jean-Baptiste Lully, John Blow and Henry Purcell, including his ‘Come Ye Sons of Art’.
The soloists will be soprano Catriona Clarke, Ashley Harries countertenor, Karl Read countertenor, David Calvert tenor and Mark Gotham bass.
This concert will also mark the debut with Ely Choral Society of Ely Cathedral assistant organist Edmund Aldhouse playing organ continuo.The chorus will be accompanied by the Ely Festival Players led by Helen Medlock, and the concert will be conducted by Andrew Parnell.
Tickets cost £20 and £15, under 18’s £5. Ely Cathedral Box Office, 01353 660349.
- 1 Developer claims 109-home estate would be 'wholly appropriate'
- 2 Prison for 'lavish lifestyle' drug dealer who hid £18k cash in sock drawer
- 3 Convenience store transformed thanks to £116k facelift
- 4 How do Cambridgeshire Fens' Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown?
- 5 WATCH: Extinction Rebellion block Amazon warehouse
- 6 Motorcyclist, 32, injured after A605 crash
- 7 Santa's magical, mystery arrival in the Fens on a tractor
- 8 OPINION: Alliance challenges 'political point scoring' by opposition leader
- 9 Best Indian in CAMBRIDGESHIRE even though award says best in NORFOLK
- 10 Police shut off A605 after 'single vehicle' crash