Ely Consort to honour Benjamin Britten and John F Kennedy at their last silver anniversary concert
- Credit: Archant
Ely Consort is rounding off its silver jubilee year with a concert on Saturday November 30 at St Andrew’s Church in Soham.
The concert - called Music for Anniversaries and Advent - will include music written for John F Kennedy’s memorial service 50 years ago, as well as a choral work to mark the 100th anniversary of the birth of Benjamin Britten.
This will be Ely Consort’s first performance with Edmund Aldhouse, Ely Cathedral’s new assistant organist, who will be playing St Andrew’s new pipe organ.
Peter Lancaster from Ely Consort said: “The first half of the concert features three substantial choral works: we celebrate the 100th anniversary of the birth of Benjamin Britten with setting of W.H Auden’s words Hymn to St Cecilia.
“John F Kennedy was assassinated on St Cecilia’s Day exactly 50 years ago; and for his memorial service English composer Herbert Howells was commissioned to write the anthem Take Him, Earth, For Cherishing.”
You may also want to watch:
The consort will also sing a sixteenth century setting of Andreas Christi Famulus (Andrew, a servant of Christ) by the little known composer Thomas Crecquillon.
The second half of the concert, heralds the start of Advent, with some familiar favourites.
- 1 Owner's desperate plea - and £500 reward - to find missing dog
- 2 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 3 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 4 'Bed-bound, my body felt exasperated' - reporter shares battle with Covid-19
- 5 MP visits hospital about to become centre of Covid-19 vaccine rollout
- 6 Nitrous oxide canisters no laughing matter say Fenland police
- 7 Rugby club fears vendetta after vandals strike again
- 8 Overgrown ditch ‘hasn’t been maintained for at least eight years’
- 9 Coroner records Wisbech teenager’s death as suicide
- 10 County cops issue more than 60 Covid fines since beginning of 2021
The concert starts at 7.30pm and tickets cost £8 in advance and £10 on the door, with under 16s admitted free. Box Office: Soham Books 01353 722259; Bev on 01353 720077, or contact email@example.com