Ely Consort to honour Benjamin Britten and John F Kennedy at their last silver anniversary concert
- Credit: Archant
Ely Consort is rounding off its silver jubilee year with a concert on Saturday November 30 at St Andrew’s Church in Soham.
The concert - called Music for Anniversaries and Advent - will include music written for John F Kennedy’s memorial service 50 years ago, as well as a choral work to mark the 100th anniversary of the birth of Benjamin Britten.
This will be Ely Consort’s first performance with Edmund Aldhouse, Ely Cathedral’s new assistant organist, who will be playing St Andrew’s new pipe organ.
Peter Lancaster from Ely Consort said: “The first half of the concert features three substantial choral works: we celebrate the 100th anniversary of the birth of Benjamin Britten with setting of W.H Auden’s words Hymn to St Cecilia.
“John F Kennedy was assassinated on St Cecilia’s Day exactly 50 years ago; and for his memorial service English composer Herbert Howells was commissioned to write the anthem Take Him, Earth, For Cherishing.”
The consort will also sing a sixteenth century setting of Andreas Christi Famulus (Andrew, a servant of Christ) by the little known composer Thomas Crecquillon.
The second half of the concert, heralds the start of Advent, with some familiar favourites.
- 1 Inquest concludes 'quiet and happy' teenager took own life
- 2 Fatal crash blocks A1M in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Man taken to hospital after 'welfare' concerns
- 4 Dashcam appeal after three die in three-vehicle A1 crash
- 5 Real living wage given to frontline care home workers
- 6 Teenage motorcyclist dies after BMW crash
- 7 Academy shake-up as one principal goes and another arrives
- 8 Prince Charming mannequin seen in car on motorway is mistaken for a body
- 9 Take a look inside this £600,000 converted barn hidden in the Fens
- 10 Motorists face extra time on journeys due to A141 closure
The concert starts at 7.30pm and tickets cost £8 in advance and £10 on the door, with under 16s admitted free. Box Office: Soham Books 01353 722259; Bev on 01353 720077, or contact email@example.com