Ely Folk Festival promises a weekend packed with music and dancing
- Credit: Archant
ELY Folk Festival kicks off on Friday July 12, and the packed weekend promises everything from lively concerts and energetic ceilidhs, to creative workshops and dancing.
The festival site on Downham Road is ready to welcome thousands of visitors over the three days, and 35 musical groups will take to the stage to provide a huge range of entertainment.
Some of the highlights will include ahab playing on Friday evening bringing their brand of alternative folk, Scottish super group Treacherous Orchestra on Saturday night and incredible fiddle playing of Seth Lakeman and his band on Sunday evening.
Scottish songstress and poet Karine Polwart will delight with her insights on life; Jaywalkers will display an array of musical influences, and Cambridge band Ezio will entertain with their own brand of music.
On Saturday morning the morris dancing procession in Ely will starts at 11am - travelling from the cathedral green, along the High Street and around the market. Eighteen morris dancing teams are involved, and will be collecting cash for EACH, the main charity being supported by the festival this year.
Festival marketing officer Fionnuala Lennon said: “We’re particularly pleased to welcome children from the Lantern Community School in Ely and Millfield Primary School in Littleport who will perform local traditional molly dancing in Ely on Saturday afternoon .”
A real ale bar and great range of food and craft stalls are also available on the festival site.
- 1 Police 'increasingly concerned' for man missing since early hours yesterday
- 2 'Giving a child the chance to be a child lifts my heart’ says foster carer
- 3 Obsessive stalker jailed for posting explicit photographs of his former partner
- 4 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 5 Recap: Wire damage disrupts Hitchin and Peterborough trains
- 6 Man, 28, dies after truck and lorries crash on A47
- 7 Recap: Thameslink passengers urged to delay travel due to 'incidents'
- 8 Three rail and bus strikes in London and the East this week
- 9 Two combine harvesters catch fire in under 12 hours
- 10 Unauthorised encampments across Cambs a 'tricky issue' says Police and Crime Commissioner
Fionnual added: “We’re delighted to welcome to the festival Nicola Greaves and Kevin Stephens who were winners in the Ely Standard festival ticket competition.”
Adult ticket prices for individual days start at £20, with a reduction for under18s and children under 10 get in free. Buy tickets via the festival website www.elyfolkfestival.co.uk.
Andy Wall, chairman of the festival committee said :“We’re really proud of the musical line-up we’ve put together this year – whether you like music to get on your feet and dance to, or music to soak up quietly, there will be something in our line-up to appeal to you. “