Ely singer eyes Christmas number one
THIS year’s battle for the all-important Christmas number one single is set to be fiercer than ever and Ely man Peter Bebbington is right at the heart of it.
Peter, a choir of dozens of volunteers and singer Alistair Griffin have teamed up for charity single I Wish For You The World and it is being hotly tipped to run the annual X Factor single close.
Peter, of Lynn Road, was one of thousands of Gamesmakers who helped out at the London Olympics and got involved with a special choir of Gamesmakers that was set up by the Olympic Organising Committee.
The choir met up with singer Alistair Griffin in October and agreed to begin rehearsing for a Christmas single, which was giving its first airing on BBC Radio One last week.
Peter, who has been a member of Ely Choral Society for 10 years, said: “They took all our details at the Olympics and contacted us later on to see if we wanted to get involved. I jumped at the chance.
You may also want to watch:
“There is certainly a lot of good competition for the Christmas number one, including the Paralympic Orchestra and the general feeling is that if we don’t get it, we would like them to. We would all be very happy to beat the X Factor!”
The single even has the backing of London mayor Boris Johnson and the music video can be found on YouTube.
- 1 Man charged with murder of woman in her 70s
- 2 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 3 Widow of High Court judge, 77, charged with historical sexual abuse
- 4 Commuter chaos as van blaze causes miles of congestion
- 5 Firefighters attempted to resuscitate suspected murder victim
- 6 'Unreasonable behaviour' means Steve must pay council's costs of failed appeal
- 7 Suspected drink lorry driver threw whiskey and wine bottle from cab
- 8 Count admits he 'must carry personally' some blame for losses
- 9 Police forensics team begin search after death of woman in her 70s
- 10 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after death of woman in her 70s