Events across Fenland in the next 10 days
Click here for details about some of the many events taking place across Fenland in the next 10 days.
SATURDAY August 6
• A FENLAND surgery is holding a fun day and car boot sale in aid of Help for Heroes.
The event, at Tilney St Lawrence Playing Field, has been organised by St John’s Surgery, Terrington St John.
Events include a sports day – St John’s Surgery Staff vs personnel from RAF Marham, car boots/stalls, games, live music, refreshments, bouncy castles and lots more.
You may also want to watch:
Pitches for the car boot cost �5 each and can be booked by calling Sandra on 07732 022008.
• JOHN E Guitar will sing and play songs from the 60s at the Queens Head pub in Emneth.
- 1 New ditch to relieve flood issues 'more challenging than expected'
- 2 Woman claims police officer ‘forced himself’ upon her
- 3 Van overturns after striking Ely’s infamous ‘most bashed bridge’
- 4 Magpas chief executive 'surprised and honoured' by MBE
- 5 'Harassment' forces village speedwatch team to close
- 6 BBC’s Johnny Dee all smiles at surprise market place birthday bash
- 7 'A crash waiting to happen' say police
- 8 Lorry driver makes a fundamental error at Fenland roundabout...
- 9 Tea rooms may become a bedsit
- 10 ‘Shift well spent!’: Fen Cops target illegal motorists in day of action
Songs by Buddy Holly, the Beatles, the Shadows, Cliff Richard and John Denver will be played from 8.30pm until late.
• CHATTERIS Community Cinema is showing two films at the King Edward Centre.
Children’s film Rango, which stars the voice of Johnny Depp, will start at 3pm. Doors open at 2.15pm.
In the evening coming-of-age comedy Submarine will be shown. Doors open at 6.45pm and the film starts at 7.30pm.
Tickets will be available on the door at the King Edward Centre. Alternatively, call the box office on 07759 049619.
• RITA and Arthur Cuss are holding a coffee morning at their home from 9am-noon.
They are raising funds for the restoration of Three Holes Village Hall following the fire earlier in the year.
The coffee morning takes place at 1 Townsend Road, Upwell. There will also be a tombola stall, bring and buy and raffle.
For more details contact 01945 772236.
MONDAY August 8
• THE subject at the next meeting of the Whittlesea Society is Ghosts and Witches of Cambridgeshire.
The club meets at Whittlesey Town Hall, in Market Street, at 7.30pm. To join the society, annual subscription costs �6 for individuals and �8 for families.
At last month’s meeting, members enjoyed a talk by Ernie Hall titled A Personal View of Ely.
WEDNESDAY August 10
•MARCH Wildlife Group is holding a bug hunt at Gault Wood, Grange Road, March, starting at 6.30pm.
Bug boxes, nets and other necessary equipment will be provided. All children must be accompanied by an adult.
FRIDAY August 12
• A QUIZ night and auction of jewellery takes place at the Braza, in March, in aid of the RSPCA’s Block Fen Animal Shelter.
Entry to the quiz is �5 per team with a maximum of four per team. Entries will be accepted on the night until 7.15pm. The event starts at 7.30pm.
To register a team in advance contact the Braza on 01354 652866 or Block Fen on 0300 123 0726.
• THE next Fenland Women of Achievement meeting takes place.
Clive Gibbon, economic development manager at Fenland District Council, will be the speaker.
The meeting takes place at Octavia Hill’s Birthplace House in Wisbech from noon-2pm. Registration and payment of �15 plus VAT includes a buffet lunch.
For more information call 07768 113310 or e-mail email@example.com
• BINGO takes place at Wimblington Parish Hall in aid of the village’s bowls clubs. Doors open 7pm, eyes down 7.30pm.
SUNDAY August 14
• WHITTLESEY Town Bowls Club hosts a fun day with a Spanish food theme.
Entry to the event, at the bowls green in High Causeway, is by ticket only. �8 (�4 for under-16s).
CONTACT: Joan on 01733 202653 or Terry on 01733 205944 by August 10.
• BLOCK Fen Animal Centre, near Wimblington, will host a clothes fair.
There will be a range of clothes on offer and there will be a coffee shop and home-made cakes.
Money raised will be in aid of the centre. For more information contact the centre on 0300 123 0726.
• A NUMBER of attractions and stalls will entertain villagers at Wimblington Fun Day.
Among attractions include The Jolly Jester, Fenland Firestorm, Wimbo Kidz, handcrafts by Laureen Frazer, jewellery and Wimblington’s Diamond Jubilee Group.
There will also be majorettes, stock cars and classic cars, Avon representatives, face painting and a bouncy castle.
The fun day has been organised by Wimblington Parish Council in conjunction with Wimblington and Stonea Allotment and Leisure Garden Association. It takes place at the War Memorial Playing field from noon-4pm.