Ex-professional footballers John Hartson and Micky Quinn coming to Fenland for fundraising dinner
- Credit: Archant © 2007
TWO celebrated ex-professional footballers are coming to Fenland in September.
Former Welsh international John Hartson, who represented his country 51 times, and hotshot Micky Quinn, who notched up 233 goals in his illustrious career, will attend Coates Athletic Football Club’s Sportsman’s Dinner.
They will be guest speakers at the event, which takes place at Manor Leisure Centre, Whittlesey, on September 21.
The club is attempting to raise funds to pay for a new clubhouse.
Fenland District Councillor Gary Swan said: “We hope to raise at least £2,500 towards the cost of a new clubhouse while having a fun evening, which can always be guaranteed at a Sportsman’s Dinner.”
You may also want to watch:
Hartson represented a host of clubs including Arsenal, West Ham and Celtic during his 16 year career.
Since his retirement he has battled testicular cancer which spread to his lungs, fighting back from the brink of death.
- 1 Connor tops poll as Tories retained Fenland dominance on county council
- 2 Election shock: Tories lose overall control of Cambridgeshire County Council
- 3 Election 2021: Wisbech West tops poll for lowest turnout
- 4 New £1.5million Co-op store opens its doors – creating 12 local jobs
- 5 Death crash driver who fled is jailed
- 6 Man on the run after stealing e-scooter from child
- 7 Election 2021: Tories win Whittlesey by-elections
- 8 Tories retain two Wisbech seats for county council
- 9 Wimblington murder probe: first photo of victim
- 10 Man, 27, punched schoolchildren and women in unprovoked attack
Quinn is recognised as one of football’s most colourful characters with a deadly eye for goal.
He enjoyed successful stints at Newcastle United and Portsmouth and, since retiring from professional football in 1996, has become a successful horse trainer and pundit.
Tables of ten are available. To book one e-mail Gary Swan at email@example.com