Expect a kaleidoscope of colour at the Wisbech Rose fair
- Credit: Archant
ONE of the finest flower festivals in the country is celebrating its golden anniversary this year.
As part of the festivities organisers are calling on anyone celebrating a 50th anniversary to step forward and get involved by sponsoring a flower arrangement.
The Wisbech Rose Fair had humble beginnings as a small event selling rose buds to raise money for church funds.
Now it has grown into a massive floral celebration attracting hundreds of visitors from across the UK.
The event won ‘Anglia in Bloom’ Gold Awards from 2008 to 2012 and was judged best large town in the Anglia region for the last two years.
During Rose Fair the whole town takes on a festive atmosphere celebrating its horticultural heritage.
The jewel in the crown is the church of St Peter & St Paul which becomes a floral masterpiece during the event.
- 1 Developer claims 109-home estate would be 'wholly appropriate'
- 2 WATCH: Extinction Rebellion block Amazon warehouse
- 3 Convenience store transformed thanks to £116k facelift
- 4 Prison for 'lavish lifestyle' drug dealer who hid £18k cash in sock drawer
- 5 Motorcyclist, 32, injured after A605 crash
- 6 Santa's magical, mystery arrival in the Fens on a tractor
- 7 How do Cambridgeshire Fens' Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown?
- 8 Police shut off A605 after 'single vehicle' crash
- 9 Best Indian in CAMBRIDGESHIRE even though award says best in NORFOLK
- 10 Crash on A141 caused by 'medical issue'
This year’s theme is Floral Pageant which will bring together traditional flowers and exotic blooms for an array of stunning arrangements.
There will also be displays in three other town centre churches, each with its own particular theme and character.
Rose Fair began in 1963 when local rose growers sold rose buds in the gardens of St Peter and St Paul to raise funds for the restoration of the Norman church.
Rose growing is still a speciality of this area and the flower festival continues to raise money to maintain the fabric of the church.
The Rose Fair takes place from July 3 to 6 and will include stalls, food and a set meal offer at the Cafe Rose.
For details go to www.wisbech-rosefair.co.uk.