Fenland band Phoenix Calling, who have been featured on BBC Introducing, set for big things after signing record deal
- Credit: Archant
A Fenland based alternative rock band have signed a record deal with a major label.
Phoenix Calling, who have been together for the past two years, are made up of Chatteris pair Dom Greenwood
(guitar/backing vocals) and Steve Chapman (lead vocals).
Lead guitarist, Martyn Hilliam, is from Whittlesey and Jason Howard (bass) is from Ramsey. The band has also recruited session drummer Matt Cope from St Neots as a full time member.
They are now part of The Fort record label, part of Crescendo Music Services, and will release their first album in March 2015.
You may also want to watch:
A launch tour is being organised and they are already on the bill at the O2 Academy in Birmingham.
In their brief history, they have played up and down the UK and headlined Peterborough’s Willow Festival.
- 1 Police forensics team begin search after death of woman in her 70s
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after death of woman in her 70s
- 3 Firefighters attempted to resuscitate suspected murder victim
- 4 Two boys, aged 12 and 14, arrested after 3am service station burglary
- 5 Pervert filmed himself having sex with girl, 14, and then shared video online
- 6 iPads and laptops stolen in school break-in
- 7 Class B drug factory discovered following British Gas search warrant
- 8 Defeated Tory hits out at ‘toxic brand’ and says ‘James Palmer had it coming’
- 9 Epic escape fail for ‘armed thieves’ who crashed car into ditch
- 10 MP Steve Barclay visits £14m A47 Guyhirn roundabout upgrade works
They have also performed at Cambridge Rock Festival and Festival Too in Kings Lynn.
Last summer, BBC Introducing pioneered the band’s cause - Huw Stephens played the single ‘Bring the Roof Down’, which has nearly 16,000 YouTube views.
A highlight for the band was being asked to perform at the Mallory Knox end of tour party in January 2014.
The band released their EP ‘Waves’ in October 2013, which features four tracks and received positive reviews in Kerrang and RockSound magazines.
Dom Greenwood said: “The Fort have some really big plans for us and already things are moving at a pace. A new single and video will be out in the New Year.”
“We’re over the moon to have signed with The Fort,” added frontman Steve Chapman, “we’re so excited to be working with them.”
Jon Hewitt, director of Crescendo Music Services, is delighted to have signed the band.
He said: “We saw Phoenix Calling at a local gig and were very impressed at the quality of their material and their professionalism.
“They are a great bunch of lads who have their feet on the ground and work hard. We are looking forward to working with them and helping the band to get to the next level.”
The band’s EP Waves is available for download at www.phoenixcalling.com