Fenland band Phoenix Calling, who have been featured on BBC Introducing, set for big things after signing record deal
- Credit: Archant
A Fenland based alternative rock band have signed a record deal with a major label.
Phoenix Calling, who have been together for the past two years, are made up of Chatteris pair Dom Greenwood
(guitar/backing vocals) and Steve Chapman (lead vocals).
Lead guitarist, Martyn Hilliam, is from Whittlesey and Jason Howard (bass) is from Ramsey. The band has also recruited session drummer Matt Cope from St Neots as a full time member.
They are now part of The Fort record label, part of Crescendo Music Services, and will release their first album in March 2015.
You may also want to watch:
A launch tour is being organised and they are already on the bill at the O2 Academy in Birmingham.
In their brief history, they have played up and down the UK and headlined Peterborough’s Willow Festival.
- 1 Cant's Drove loses 'worst road in the Fens' title
- 2 CCTV released after shopkeeper assaulted in robbery
- 3 Woman jailed for knife-point robbery
- 4 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
- 5 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 6 Man with rare heart condition shares how free location app saved his life
- 7 MP takes a tour of school’s £14m transformation
- 8 9 hidden gems of East Anglia by rail from Cambridgeshire
- 9 Worst road in Fenland? You'd better believe it
- 10 Threatening domestic abuser tracked and assaulted ex partner of 10 years
They have also performed at Cambridge Rock Festival and Festival Too in Kings Lynn.
Last summer, BBC Introducing pioneered the band’s cause - Huw Stephens played the single ‘Bring the Roof Down’, which has nearly 16,000 YouTube views.
A highlight for the band was being asked to perform at the Mallory Knox end of tour party in January 2014.
The band released their EP ‘Waves’ in October 2013, which features four tracks and received positive reviews in Kerrang and RockSound magazines.
Dom Greenwood said: “The Fort have some really big plans for us and already things are moving at a pace. A new single and video will be out in the New Year.”
“We’re over the moon to have signed with The Fort,” added frontman Steve Chapman, “we’re so excited to be working with them.”
Jon Hewitt, director of Crescendo Music Services, is delighted to have signed the band.
He said: “We saw Phoenix Calling at a local gig and were very impressed at the quality of their material and their professionalism.
“They are a great bunch of lads who have their feet on the ground and work hard. We are looking forward to working with them and helping the band to get to the next level.”
The band’s EP Waves is available for download at www.phoenixcalling.com