GALLERY: Ely Cathedral Flower Festival: Our photographer takes a sneak preview
- Credit: Archant
THOUSANDS of colourful blooms have been arranged by a team of expert flower arrangers in Ely Cathedral this week, ready for the mammoth flower festival that opens on Thursday.
Our photographer Steve Williams took a tour of the Ship of the Fens as last minute preparations were made for the four day extravaganza, that will attract thousands of visitors to the Ship of the Fens.
The theme of the festival is “In the Beginning,” and more than 80 classic and contemporary floral exhibits have been constructed around the medieval building, with the focal point being a 34-metre long river of water and flowers.
Creative director Roger Woolnough, a gold medal winner of both Chelsea and Hampton Court flower shows, said: “The biggest challenge we had to face is the vastness of the space the cathedral offers. We had to think big to have the desired impact.
“The river provides an unusual focal point and is the key feature in our depiction of the seven days of The Creation.”
You may also want to watch:
Outside the cathedral, marquees house a gift and craft fair, there will be daily musical entertainment in the Lady Chapel, a programme of floral demonstrations in the garden marquee, and a range of refreshments are available.
Tickets cost £10, which allows access for a day. Under-16s are admitted free. Tickets are available online at www.elycathedral.org or by calling the box office on 01353 660349.
- 1 'Amazing team work' at hospital's vaccination clinic
- 2 'Physically and mentally exhausted" Matt in plea to find missing beagle
- 3 Man suffers serious injuries after two-vehicle crash on A47
- 4 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 5 Council buys up 1,000 sandbags ahead of Storm Christoph
- 6 'Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into'
- 7 ‘Boris should try to fill in the forms if he thinks they’re so simple’
- 8 Rough sleepers helped from tents pitched on private land
- 9 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 10 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer