GALLERY: Exhibition celebrating Queen’s interest in horse racing comes to Newmarket for Guineas Festival
THE Queen’s life-long interest in horse racing is being celebrated in a new exhibition which comes to Newmarket for the Guineas Festival.
The exhibition, entitled ‘All The Queen’s Horses’, looks at Her Majesty’s most memorable moments on the Turf during her 60-year reign.
Pictures of many of her most significant winners and other special occasions that reflect her passion for the sport have been included.
More than 50 images are contained in the display, including several rarely seen photographs from the 1940s and 50s showing the then Princess Elizabeth at the races with the Queen Mother.
Other images capture her delight in the winners’ enclosure or in conversation with famous trainers and jockeys who have served her over the decades.
You may also want to watch:
Seldom seen historical photographs also show the Queen’s keen interest in the breeding aspects of racing and her more informal moments on the gallops or riding at Ascot racecourse.
A spokesman for Lovetheraces.com, which has organised the touring exhibition, said: “What many of the images show is that the Queen appears at her most relaxed on Britain’s racecourses, enthralled by every aspect of a day at the races.
- 1 Police forensics team begin search after death of woman in her 70s
- 2 Firefighters attempted to resuscitate suspected murder victim
- 3 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after death of woman in her 70s
- 4 Two boys, aged 12 and 14, arrested after 3am service station burglary
- 5 iPads and laptops stolen in school break-in
- 6 Pervert filmed himself having sex with girl, 14, and then shared video online
- 7 Class B drug factory discovered following British Gas search warrant
- 8 Defeated Tory hits out at ‘toxic brand’ and says ‘James Palmer had it coming’
- 9 MP Steve Barclay visits £14m A47 Guyhirn roundabout upgrade works
- 10 Drink-driver blows over four times legal limit after ‘booze and cruise’
“Many of the images on display can also be found in a new book entitled Her Majesty’s Pleasure: How Horseracing Enthrals the Queen which is being published by Racing Post Books to coincide with the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee.”
The exhibition comes to Newmarket Racecourse for the QIPCO Guineas Festival, which takes place from May 5-6. Tickets can be purchased by calling 0844 579 3010 or visiting www.newmarketracecourses.co.uk