GALLERY: Final rehearsals for Wisbech Operatic Society’s production of The Drowsy Chaperone
THEY have rehearsed three times a week for three months - and now they’re ready to take their production of The Drowsy Chaperone to the stage.
Wisbech Amateur Operatic & Dramatic Society’s show runs at the Angles Theatre, in Wisbech, from May 15-19. Directed by Barbara Mews, it promises to be bright, colourful and full of catchy tunes.
Isobel Shippey, society press officer, said: “The society is convinced this show is just what the people of Wisbech need in this gloomy time of austerity.
“Everyone who has seen The Drowsy Chaperone has left the theatre feeling better than when they went in. The cast is having great fun rehearsing the show.
“We are pleased to be welcoming some talented new faces, but just as pleased to welcome back some familiar ‘old’ faces such as John Frisby – the Society’s leading man from the 1960s.”
In the comedy-within-a-musical that unfolds Janet is about to marry nice guy Robert and leave showbusiness, much to the dismay of Broadway producer Feldzieg.
In a plot no goofier than those found in old musicals, Robert & Janet must steer clear of each other until their wedding ceremony. Seeing to this is Robert’s best man George and a woman referred to only as The Drowsy Chaperone who is more interested in mixing drinks than keeping the lovers apart.
- 1 Boxing club 'absolutely gutted' as mass brawl abandons show
- 2 One arrest and cars seized on busy day for cops
- 3 Mother pays tribute to “much-loved” son who died near Fen Drayton
- 4 Live music, over 100 stalls and fair rides as Christmas market returns
- 5 Thief will spend Christmas in prison after breaching court order
- 6 Wenny Meadow home to rare 'false scorpions', says hidden report
- 7 Owner left excited as town's 'heirloom' features on I'm A Celebrity trial
- 8 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 9 Horse rider injured in crash on Ramsey Road in Warboys
- 10 Motorbike set on fire in arson attack
• Shows start at 7.30pm nightly except for Thursday May 17 when a gala night takes place. A buffet will be provided for the audience prior to the show starting at 8pm, at no extra charge.
Tickets can be ordered from the Angles Box Office on 01945 474447.