GALLERY: Final rehearsals for Wisbech Operatic Society’s production of The Drowsy Chaperone
THEY have rehearsed three times a week for three months - and now they’re ready to take their production of The Drowsy Chaperone to the stage.
Wisbech Amateur Operatic & Dramatic Society’s show runs at the Angles Theatre, in Wisbech, from May 15-19. Directed by Barbara Mews, it promises to be bright, colourful and full of catchy tunes.
Isobel Shippey, society press officer, said: “The society is convinced this show is just what the people of Wisbech need in this gloomy time of austerity.
“Everyone who has seen The Drowsy Chaperone has left the theatre feeling better than when they went in. The cast is having great fun rehearsing the show.
“We are pleased to be welcoming some talented new faces, but just as pleased to welcome back some familiar ‘old’ faces such as John Frisby – the Society’s leading man from the 1960s.”
You may also want to watch:
In the comedy-within-a-musical that unfolds Janet is about to marry nice guy Robert and leave showbusiness, much to the dismay of Broadway producer Feldzieg.
In a plot no goofier than those found in old musicals, Robert & Janet must steer clear of each other until their wedding ceremony. Seeing to this is Robert’s best man George and a woman referred to only as The Drowsy Chaperone who is more interested in mixing drinks than keeping the lovers apart.
- 1 Owner's desperate plea - and £500 reward - to find missing dog
- 2 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 3 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 4 'Bed-bound, my body felt exasperated' - reporter shares battle with Covid-19
- 5 MP visits hospital about to become centre of Covid-19 vaccine rollout
- 6 County cops issue more than 60 Covid fines since beginning of 2021
- 7 Coroner records Wisbech teenager’s death as suicide
- 8 Overgrown ditch ‘hasn’t been maintained for at least eight years’
- 9 Nitrous oxide canisters no laughing matter say Fenland police
- 10 Dad of two killed on Fen road
• Shows start at 7.30pm nightly except for Thursday May 17 when a gala night takes place. A buffet will be provided for the audience prior to the show starting at 8pm, at no extra charge.
Tickets can be ordered from the Angles Box Office on 01945 474447.