HERITAGE WEEKEND: Chatteris offers guided walk and curiosity trail
DETAILS of the events in Chatteris taking place as part of the Heritage Weekend.
Chatteris Quirks and Curiosities Trail
CHATTERIS may seem an ordinary small town but it has its fair share of quirks and curiosities and the odd connection with the rich and famous.
What has the holder of a Victoria Cross and a jail breaker got in common? Be guided to the spot where the nuns from Chatteris abbey have left behind a valued timepiece.
Reach out and touch the Town’s mortuary slab where the secrets of death were revealed by science. Find out who was known as the “Carrot King”.
You may also want to watch:
What is vermiculite and what has Chatteris got to do with it?
Pick up a leaflet from Chatteris Museum in Church Lane or the Library in Furrowfields Road and follow the Quirks and
- 1 Man, aged in his 40s, dies after suspected drug-fuelled B1101 crash
- 2 Floral tributes laid for ‘amazing brother’ killed in B1101 Elm Road crash
- 3 Updates as emergency services rush to major crash blocking B1101
- 4 Covid ban on collecting CCTV says police after cycle theft
- 5 Vaccine centre closure date announced amid 60,000 doses target
- 6 Man dies following crash on Cambridgeshire road
- 7 Hancock admits QEH 'in serious need of improvement' but makes no promises
- 8 Serious crash blocks main road into Fen town
- 9 Chatteris drug dealers handed community orders
- 10 Man jailed for sexual relationship with schoolgirl
Curiosities Trail to discover the answers to all these questions as you meander through the town.
September 8. Museum open 2-3.30pm; Library closed
September 9. Library open 10am-1pm & 2-7pm; Museum closed
September 10. Museum open 10am-1pm; Library open 10am-1pm & 2-7pm
Guided Walk, ‘Glimpses into the History of Chatteris’
FENLAND historian Maureen James will lead a circular guided walk around the town which will provide fascinating glimpses into aspects of local history from Medieval times to the present day.
Starts from the car park opposite Chatteris Museum.
September 11 3pm