Historian and broadcaster Dr David Starkey to open Visitor and Learning Centre at Peterborough Cathedral
- Credit: Archant
Historian and broadcaster Dr David Starkey is to open a new Visitor and Learning Centre at Peterborough Cathedral next Saturday (10) from 2pm.
“Re-enactors dressed as medieval knights will provide a guard of honour for Dr Starkey as he cuts a ribbon across the entrance to the new centre,” say the cathedral.
“Everyone is welcome to witness the ceremony which will take place during Heritage Open Weekend at the cathedral.
“Once the ribbon has been cut, the public will be welcomed into the centre for the first time to see new displays illustrating the cathedral’s history, its people and its faith, from Anglo-Saxon times right up to the present day.”
The opening follows two years’ work in conserving and converting two listed buildings in the cathedral precincts.
You may also want to watch:
“We hope that people of all ages and backgrounds will find it a welcoming place that enriches their visit to our magnificent cathedral, “said Revd Charles Taylor, Dean of Peterborough.
“We are enormously grateful to the Heritage Lottery Fund and all those who have enabled us to bring this project to fruition.”
- 1 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 2 Pink Cadillacs, sports cars and a VW Beetle: Students arrive in style for their leavers' prom
- 3 Hospitals temporarily reintroduce restrictions for visitors
- 4 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 5 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in East Cambs and Fenland
- 6 AN APOLOGY: The Gables in Chatteris
- 7 March lorry and cyclist collision: Eye-witness saw ‘boy laid in the road’
- 8 Aquapark boss hits back at threat of enforcement
- 9 Man killed in Estover Road motorbike crash named by police
After the opening ceremony, Dr Starkey wil sign copies of his books at the centre. There will be a book stall in association with Waterstones.
The centre will be open to the public daily from 10am to 5pm Monday to Saturday, and from 11am to 4pm on Sundays. There is no charge for entry but donations are encouraged to help with cathedral running costs.
For more information visit the Peterborough Cathedral website: www.peterborough-cathedral.org.uk or call 01733 355315.