Host of Tudor themed events planned as Katharine of Aragon Festival returns to Peterborough
- Credit: Archant
The annual Katharine of Aragon Festival takes place in Peterborough from January 31 to February 2.
Three days of events are lined up to mark the anniversary of her burial in Peterborough Cathedral (then an Abbey) in 1536.
Katharine of Aragon was the first wife of King Henry VIII and Queen of England from 1509 until 1533.
In an effort to secure a male heir, Henry asked the Pope to annul his marriage to her so he could marry Anne Boleyn.
The Pope refused and Henry split from the Roman Catholic Church, declaring himself to be supreme head of the Church in England.
You may also want to watch:
For more details call 01733 355315 or visit www.peterborough-cathedral.org.uk and www.vivacity-peterborough.com
- 1 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 2 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 3 Woman, 78, suffers horrific injuries after e-scooter hit-and-run
- 4 'Police repeatedly failed me' over noisy neighbour saga, claims resident
- 5 'Unreasonable behaviour' means Steve must pay council's costs of failed appeal
- 6 Fleeing heroin dealer rams police car but they get him in the end
- 7 Widow of High Court judge, 77, charged with historical sexual abuse
- 8 Man charged with murder of woman in her 70s
- 9 Lorry driver loses control on motorway in booze-fuelled collision
- 10 Two men with links to Cottenham on 'most wanted' list
Service of Commemoration: 10.30am at Peterborough Cathedral
Sung Vespers: 5.30pm at Peterborough Cathedral
Evening worship with Peterborough Cathedral Choir, featuring music from Katharine of Aragon’s time.
Tudor Music and Ale Evening: 7.30pm at Beckets Chapel.
A Tudor evening with hog roast, apple pie, local real ale and music from the Tudor period performed by members of the Peterborough Cathedral Choir.
Tickets £25 per person, available from 01733 355315 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
City Centre Tour: 10.30am starting at Peterborough Museum
Tickets are £5 for adults, £3 for children and concessions. For more details and to book call 01733 864663 or visit www.vivacity-peterborough.com
Katharine of Aragon - Tudor inspired authors talk: 2pm at John Clare Theatre, Peterborough Central Library
Two bestselling historical novelists, Vanora Bennett and Elizabeth Fremantle, will give a talk about Katharine of Aragon and her impact on British history.
Admission £5 (£4 concessions and reading group members). Book at any Peterborough Library, Peterborough Museum or Waterstones Peterborough.
Call 01733 864280 for more details or visit www.vivacity-peterborough.com.
Tudor Family Day: 10am-4pm at Peterborough Museum
A chance to meet Tudor characters, learn manners from a Tudor lady, handle arms and armour or try period food in the kitchen.
There will be family activities and crafts with a Tudor theme and hourly tours to the rarely-seen Tudor parts of the building.
Admission: £3 adults, £2 concessions, £7 families, under-5s and Heritage Pass holders free.
Call 01733 864663 or visit www.vivacity-peterborough.com for more information.